Should I get another breed of duck? ~wanting more of a challenge~

Geese are LESS messy? Really? That surprises me. I was at the shore recently and a TON of Canada geese live in the lagoon area. It is a MESS, poop all over the boardwalks, beach, etc. There are also swans and ducks, but I see much less duck poop and the swans don't come up there, they just go out to the island. I am not disputing your statement, just curious.
idunno.gif

Quote:
They poop a ton, but they don't make the mess in the duck pool like ducks do splashing all over the place. The geese are much more interested in eating grass then being in the water.

Quote:
We've got ducks and geese and geese by far are EASIER and less messy and more friendly. I highly recommend them- plus they make great guards to your flock- their very protective.

I thought they were mean and like to attack things? That why we haven't got any at all because she's been saying she wants them for like 5 years now

If you raise geese like they are geese and don't try to turn them into pet dogs, you won't have a lot of behavior issues with them.

You can expect some hissing during breeding season as they inform you they don't want you near their nest. That is correct goose behavior. If they are well raised, they won't attack you. However, they probably will attack a stranger that gets close to the nest. Easy solution: don't allow strangers near their nesting area.

Mine are very personable and very smart. They love to be talked to. They tip their heads so far, their heads are sideways and chuckle back at me. If they do something that isn't allowed, they will stop if I say "quit" or "uh-uh".

They come when they are called and they are easy to herd. I suggest that you do not hand feed, because they will grab and if they get skin, it not only hurts like the dickens, it can also bleed.

Back
Top Bottom