should i get muscovies?????? or not.

I cant believe that these people are raising such a fuss over muscovies!! Their off spring are "mules" anyways and I really dont believe that it will EVER be enforced in the south. We have a lot of duckweed and algae in this area and without those birds most ponds would be over run with the stuff. The eggs are delicious and the ducks are more like pets when you get them little. If you have a pond or lake and DONT get muscovies you are messing up in my opinion.

Beerman has my vote. Muscovies are somewhat sporadic layers- other breeds provide far more consistent egg production, but muscovies produce the best ducks for eating- far superior to any other breed JMO.

In regards to getting muscovies for eggs. In general, scovies lay during the spring and summer. They lay one egg a day and will go broody and are very good at setting a clutch and raising the ducklings. So you will not have as many eggs for the whole year as with an egg laying breed, but you might end up with more ducks if that is good. And the eggs are large, so if you normally eat 2 chicken eggs, one scovy egg might be enough. You can freeze extra eggs to use during the non laying season. Duck eggs are the best for baking.

There are other benefits to owning scovies, like bug control. They are very effective at catching and eating bugs, both flying and crawling types. Mine almost totally eliminated the wasps from my place last year. So funny to see a scovy chase a flying wasp, catch it, eat it, wag its tail, go get a drink and look for another wasp.
tongue.png
The bigger, better the bug, the bigger the tail wag.

And their entertainment value is priceless........ OK, all ducks have entertainment value, but the scovies are a bit unique.

So, if the only "permitted "use is for meat, what are all the breeders that breed and show that at poultry shows going to do?
I said it before and Ill say it again stupid people make stupid laws.
The Muscovies that are "wild" and or went "wild" are going to keep breeding and hatching young and there still going to migrate in from Mexico and South America.

Chris

Quote:
There's a thread on here somewhere that talks about muscovy's becoming illegal. It's because they are becoming an invasive species according to the article.

Back
Top Bottom