Should I get this chicken?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pringle, Oct 14, 2009.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Okay one of my dads best friends has a recently been getting eggs from her 70 chickens now and is selling them,she has raised chickens for years but now she is gonna be selling there eggs.So she still has some 5 4 year old hens from here last flock.And one in particular is named big whity(shes a light bramha)she is very docile and I like her.But shirly(my dads best friends name)says that she cant keep her anymore and shes gonna put her in the souppot.But I said maybe I could take her and she said that she would much rather give her to me then to cook her so she said yes.The reason I need her is becouse I have 4 other chickens an oegb roo 2 golden phonixes and a bantam polish there all still small so I think there gonna be cold for the winter and also im getting new baby ducks and chicks the 27th.So I was thinking becouse shes so big and fluffy she would keep the other ones warm.You think this would work out or not?Shes very docile with other chickens and I would keep her in confinmeant a lil while.Oh and btw I can get her for free!

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    the answer is always YESSSSSSSSSSS...lol chickens chickens chickens... must get more chickens...

if she is for free go for it but remember bio security, and quarantine

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hmmmm.... several issues come to mind-

Why can't the lady keep her anymore, has she stopped laying or is she mean to other hens?

What if she doesn't take to your current chickens? It happens.

What if she doesn't take to the new chicks and ducklings? It happens all the time- unless she's broody she probably won't "foster" them.

It's generally a good idea to quarantine for a minimum of 30 days, then another 2-3 weeks of being near, but not in with, your chickens - have you got adequate housing for at least 6-7-8 weeks of her as a solo hen?

By the time you get through with all that, it's already going to be very cold in MA.

My personal opinion is no, based upon your reasons and the amount of chance involved. If you just want to save her from the soup pot, then go for it. But there is no guarantee she will keep the others warm.

Sorry to sound so negative, but it's just logic applied to the nature of chickens.

[​IMG] Good luck either way!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Just because she's big and fluffy doesn't mean she'll have the slightest interest in keeping any of the others warm.

Like others have said if you bring her home be sure and practice good bio security with her.

5. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ummm just saying,shes like a grandmother to me.She would never lie to me lol.And the reason why shes getting rid of her is becouse barly lays eggs anymore but when she does there really big and blue,ive seen the eggs before.And yes I do have extra houses for her,I have some small doghouses.If I have to Ill keep the chickens in the basement just to keep them warm.I dont mind quaratining her for a couple of months.And by that time the baby ducks will have feathers to go outside...well maybe not maybe in a longer period of time.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Her eggs are blue? She isn't a Lt. Brahma, then, though she may have some Brahma in her bloodlines.

7. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I dont know,she looks EXACTLY like a light brahma.Is it possible thats shes just different?I mean is it like impossible she cant lay a blue egg?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If she lays a blue egg, then somewhere in her genetic makeup is a bird with the blue egg gene. Brahmas lay light brown to cream colored eggs.

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, like Cyntia said, she got that blue egg gene from somewhere other than light brahma. That gene is dominant and can be carried on indeffinately......Pop

10. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Hmmmm,I guess one of here relatives was an araucana or somthing?But she does look just like a light brahma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by