should i give up hope?

yeah i guess so :) still cant believe it!
I set the eggs under my broody Tuesday 23/5 in the afternoon, took them from the box on Tuesday 13/6 in the afternoon, put them into look down and 2 hatched on the 19/6 with hopefully a couple more ;).
The 2 that have hatched so far seem perfectly healthy- amazing!
Thank you everyone for your input- i am so glad i didnt give up hope!!

3rd one has hatched
I'm going against all the rules so u candled the remaining 4- 1 looks like it has died- 1 little pekin bantam is still alive and looks healthy but I'm thinking still a couple days off... the Easter egger looks good but hard to see in- the wheaten Maran the shell is way too dark but the air sack is very big (maybe too big??)
One thing I regret is not pencilling in the air sack which I've always done!
So now for the remaining ones is worried that they haven't really rolled for 7 days- again I guess time will tell...

:woot That's outstanding! I'm so glad these chicks have hatched for you! :yesss:

Sometimes with hatches there may be an egg or two that seem to lose more moisture than the rest and they don't make it. I've even had this happen under a broody. Sometimes there's eggs that don't lose enough moisture and they don't make it either.

I hope the others hatch.:fl When I first started incubating everything I did not necessarily follow the more common rules of practice; very old eggs, stagger hatching, candling when I probably wasn't supposed to and opening the incubator...but I was trying to resurrect chicks from eggs from hens that had been killed. I still incubate outside the rules...I always get chicks. Maybe not as many as others...but I get the very toughest embryos, which is what I'm going for. So I don't think it's detrimental that you opened the incubator. I would've done what you did. I wouldn't toss the dead looking egg unless it's smelling. Some eggs can surprise a person.

We needed to clean our coop and redo a wire wall. I gathered about 10-12 dozen eggs from nests and the floor where the broodies (about 13) had been setting. It was total anarchy because the hens keep switching nests. Some were still sitting on eggs I had marked a long time ago...but hadn't marked the date. I gathered the eggs about 2pm Saturday...they sat out in the sun and wind until supper. I brought them into the house where they sat until I candled them 2am Sunday morning. The marked eggs were about day 20 and one little chick had internally pipped. I put them in the incubator and I see 3 chicks have pipped! They are still alive...lol. I didn't think they were that close to hatching.

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. Hoping the best for the rest of your eggs! :fl

IMG_7885.JPG IMG_7895.JPG IMG_7902.JPG Destiny, faith and hope ❤️

:woot That's outstanding! I'm so glad these chicks have hatched for you! :yesss:

Sometimes with hatches there may be an egg or two that seem to lose more moisture than the rest and they don't make it. I've even had this happen under a broody. Sometimes there's eggs that don't lose enough moisture and they don't make it either.

I hope the others hatch.:fl When I first started incubating everything I did not necessarily follow the more common rules of practice; very old eggs, stagger hatching, candling when I probably wasn't supposed to and opening the incubator...but I was trying to resurrect chicks from eggs from hens that had been killed. I still incubate outside the rules...I always get chicks. Maybe not as many as others...but I get the very toughest embryos, which is what I'm going for. So I don't think it's detrimental that you opened the incubator. I would've done what you did. I wouldn't toss the dead looking egg unless it's smelling. Some eggs can surprise a person.

We needed to clean our coop and redo a wire wall. I gathered about 10-12 dozen eggs from nests and the floor where the broodies (about 13) had been setting. It was total anarchy because the hens keep switching nests. Some were still sitting on eggs I had marked a long time ago...but hadn't marked the date. I gathered the eggs about 2pm Saturday...they sat out in the sun and wind until supper. I brought them into the house where they sat until I candled them 2am Sunday morning. The marked eggs were about day 20 and one little chick had internally pipped. I put them in the incubator and I see 3 chicks have pipped! They are still alive...lol. I didn't think they were that close to hatching.

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. Hoping the best for the rest of your eggs! :fl

Did you have any luck with hatching?

Back
Top Bottom