Should I incubate shipped quail eggs upright or flat?

Just an update, one of my original eggs hatched.☺

Another has pipped and the remaining one I've seen move.

chick.jpg

chick1.jpg

Hello,

I had an unsuccessful hatch with some shipped quail eggs inside an automatic turning r-com mini. Two were dead in the egg, one looked fully developed but small and the other looked fully developed and ready to hatch which was sad. I've read that it's common for shipped eggs to die during lockdown. I have 3 more in the incubator, though I believe these to be dead as well but I'm going to leave them because I've got nothing to lose and they might be okay.

I've since bought a Brinsea automatic mini incubator and a new load of shipped quail eggs. Four came from one seller, annoyingly all of which have detached rolling air cells. I've read that these won't hatch, I don't know whether to try anyway. One was lightly cracked, I sealed the crack with melted wax. I have ten from another seller which were packaged better although one was cracked badly, I binned it. Six have saddled air cells, one is saddled and slightly detached. Two look good with small, clean and round air cells.

I can't make up my mind on whether to incubate them upright in cartons or to let the automatic turner turn them. I've read people suggesting different things... Or should I turn the automatic turner off and rotate them gentler myself. Also, with detached air cells, I've read that people suggest not turning them at all for the first few days. I think they said four, however, this was for chicken eggs and I assume it would be different for quail.

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it!
I would do it yourself so you know hoe gentle to be with them.

Back
Top Bottom