Should I incubate these or not?

Also, you could message the seller and tell them that they shouldn't send big eggs for hatching, in case they are unaware.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can fit them, my incubator isn't particularly large. I'll just keep an eye on them.
I had to buy a jumbo egg tray for my incubator because I was getting so many eggs that wouldn't fit into the turner chicken egg trays.
If you contact the seller, just ask them if any of their huge eggs are double yolkers. They should know.
I once crossed a Minorca hen with a Penedesenca rooster (both breeds known for extra large and jumbo eggs. Her daughter's first two eggs were 84 and 92 gram. They were single yolk and I can't believe I sold her.

I had to buy a jumbo egg tray for my incubator because I was getting so many eggs that wouldn't fit into the turner chicken egg trays.
If you contact the seller, just ask them if any of their huge eggs are double yolkers. They should know.
I once crossed a Minorca hen with a Penedesenca rooster (both breeds known for extra large and jumbo eggs. Her daughter's first two eggs were 84 and 92 gram. They were single yolk and I can't believe I sold her.

This is what I was going to suggest as well. Since there are two of you that possibly ordered from the same eBay seller and both of you got extra large eggs, I suspect she has a hen that always lays XL eggs. It's worth asking! Keep us updated because now I'm really curious. lol :pop

For someone selling hatching eggs they shouldn’t really send out any eggs are ‘abnormal’ and generally speaking, huge ones that are potentially double yolkers are abnormal for hatching. Likewise with super tiny eggs (unless it’s breed specific and normal for them).

I would contact the seller and see what they say, they may send others out or give you some more later down the line if you don’t get chicks from them.

Regardless, I’d still set them myself (unless the seller asks for them to be sent back before they send more). They may be very large single yolks and cracking them definitely won’t get you any chicks.

If you set them, candle them after 10 days and you’ll know for sure. Worth a try in my opinion but if I was the seller I wouldn't have sent them out unless they informed you beforehand and give you the choice :)

For someone selling hatching eggs they shouldn’t really send out any eggs are ‘abnormal’ and generally speaking, huge ones that are potentially double yolkers are abnormal for hatching. Likewise with super tiny eggs (unless it’s breed specific and normal for them).

I would contact the seller and see what they say, they may send others out or give you some more later down the line if you don’t get chicks from them.

Regardless, I’d still set them myself (unless the seller asks for them to be sent back before they send more). They may be very large single yolks and cracking them definitely won’t get you any chicks.

If you set them, candle them after 10 days and you’ll know for sure. Worth a try in my opinion but if I was the seller I wouldn't have sent them out unless they informed you beforehand and give you the choice :)

Yeah I am really surprised she sent out such big eggs. It's not something I personally would've done. I'd rather she have waited an extra day to ship if it was a shortage of normal size eggs but oh well.

Yeah I am really surprised she sent out such big eggs. It's not something I personally would've done. I'd rather she have waited an extra day to ship if it was a shortage of normal size eggs but oh well.
I've shipped extremely large eggs but because by European standards, the breed I raise, their eggs should be 65 grams which is in the ballpark of the eggs I ship.
Jumbo eggs are over 70.9 grams, extra large are over 63.8 grams and large are over 56.7 so Penedesencas are supposed to lay extra large eggs and I don't think it is inappropriate to ship eggs up to 70 grams but that only applies to my eggs.
Birds that come from small eggs tend to lay small eggs and vice versa.
I don't set or ship eggs under 50 grams and that is in the medium range.

Last edited:

How many sellers on eBay selling giant Marans eggs can there be?! Haha. I feel the same way. I was bummed when I saw the size because I’m worried about double yolks but there really is no way to tell because the color is quite dark and pretty. Would have happily waited the extra day as well. I can’t say I was super impressed with the packing job on mine either. I candled mine tonight (day 7). I can tell there’s development in half the eggs but still no idea if they are double yolks or not.

Back
Top Bottom