Should I insulate?

I used foam sign board laminated with hard plastic sheets on both sides to insulate walls floor and ceilings of my coops. The white plastic is easy to clean and parts are removed in summer to increase ventilation. Insulation keeps the coops warmer in winter and cooler in summer. I want my birds to do more than survive bad weather. I want them to thrive and be as comfortable as I can make them. I will admit I can get all the foam sign board I want as my family’s business is making Ultraboard.

one question for anyone who might know, health and safety of birds aside, has anyone been in a position, maybe with a large number of birds, to see if temperature management of any kind influences feed consumption? insulation could, presumably, reduce feed consumption, no? could it do so enough to be economical on that basis alone? reducing dampness and draft of the keys to getting through the winter here in the northwest but I kind of do wonder about feed consumption with respect to insulation. i added vents in my inner roost hutch after adding insulation and the ammonia was still more noticable than I thought would be good, so I also leave the window cracked. to very accurately meter the ventilation based on ammonia one would need some kind of sensing system with a vent that could open and close and maybe a fan too... which starts to feel like totally not worth it. added failure points also adds to risk to the birds. the amount of ventilation needed to keep the birds supplied with fresh air may completely negate any value that the insulation can provide.

... temperature management of any kind influences feed consumption? insulation could, presumably, reduce feed consumption, no? could it do so enough to be economical on that basis alone?

Not a specific answer to the above but I keep careful track of food consumption on a daily basis. It is my observation that consumption goes up during periods of very cold weather (-20C and below). The inference being that temperature management may impact consumption but the downsides of heating, in my opinion, outweigh any savings on food not to mention the cost of heating which in most locals will far exceed food costs during a cold winter.

No need for insulation unless you have extreme, sustained cold. We usually have a few scattered weeks here in the mountains that will drop to single digit or below 0 temps sometimes with windchills as low as -20F, but it is never for a long enough period to bother them.
A friend of mine lives in Alaska. His birds get a heated coop when its -30 to -40 for a month straight.

New shed going in this week that I'll convert to a coop as it warms up. My question is should I insulate, and if yes, with what?

It's an 8x8 wood shed that I'll use as a coop and storage area. As installed, it's bare framing, so I can do whatever, but whatever I do (if anything) I'd like it to be economical! I'm in Colorado SPrings

Your suggested are welcome!
Wood would be the best option for you... I use them a lot as well in my farm. thats the best construction material for me. i hope you finish you construction soon... good luck.

I can confirm with others to add sheets of plywood to the inside to eliminate drafts. I used just 1/4” hardwood ply and they’ve done really well even when temps dropped below 0°F. I even have their entry door open 24/7 leading to their closed in pen. Coop is only 4x8. They roost on the opposite end from the door.

New shed going in this week that I'll convert to a coop as it warms up. My question is should I insulate, and if yes, with what?

It's an 8x8 wood shed that I'll use as a coop and storage area. As installed, it's bare framing, so I can do whatever, but whatever I do (if anything) I'd like it to be economical! I'm in Colorado SPrings

Your suggested are welcome!
I live in upstate my coop is about 7x9 it gets quite cold here. I have wrapped my coop with moisture barrier,then1/2 in foam board insulation then vinyl siding. I have a red heat lamp facing the boxes hanging from a rafter and the water dishes dont freeze and with hay in the boxes there warm and cozy. I have a dozen hens in there and they seem to be happy and healthy,at least I haven't heard any complaints...Yet hahaha.

I live at altitude (a mile) in western SD. My hens spent last winter in an uninsulated metal tool shed (10x12). It was a super wet winter but no condensation after I added gable end vents. I only opened the doors on days when it was above 0* Fahrenheit, and they were closed many days, all day. I got a few spots of frostbite on some of the single comb girls which doesn’t seem to bother them, either at the time or now. The main cause of frostbite is humidity rather than cold, or so I’m told. If you haven’t yet bought your chickens, consider those with rose or pea combs.

Regarding your windows... make certain you don’t have your roosts positioned so as to cause a draft on the birds as they sleep. I use 2x4 boards, broad side up, so they can easily sit on their feet to keep their toes warm.

It sounds like you intend to use only part of your shed for your birds. Please keep in mind that chickens confined to their coop for long periods by inclement weather need more space. I wouldn’t plan for less than 10 sq ft per bird in my climate. Plus... if you order from a hatchery, be aware that they WILL send extras (who ime always survive at least the trip to your door and typically well beyond). If you want only 3-4, you’re better off to request your farm supply to special order the breeds you want or buy from a local breeder.
You are correct about humidity in cold weather. I have a weather app on my cellphone. I live in central western Maine. We have had a very mild winter here this year. To the OP to understand this process I like to use this analogy. Wash your hands, dry one and leave the other wet. Go out in the cold. See which hand gets frost bite first. The wet one.
I have a shed (wooden) with an asphalt roof covered by metal. Have a 16 chickens. All adults. Leghorns, RIR, Barred rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laced Wyandottes. I have good ventilation. I keep a gallon jug of water ( capped) in the coop. I can tell if it was cold over night by wether the water is frozen in the morning. Once or twice this winter when in was in the single numbers overnight there was a skim of ice. But my birds are fine. They have a down coat. Have you ever been in a store with your down coat of for 8 hours? LOL

Last winter I only had 4 birds. In a small flimsy TSC coop/run.. The coop area was really too small for 4 birds. Sometimes in the morning there was condensation on the walls. We had lots of nights with -20F. I warped the run area with clear tarp. Mostly to keep the snow out so they could have some freedom. I also bank that with snow. Now snow is a good insulator, no varmints take up residence in it. I've done that this winter too albeit not very much, because we've had hardly any snow this winter. One storm all the month of January.

Chickadees, blue jays, morning doves and crows stick around here all winter. They sleep out in the element. Get quality feed and save money. Don't insulate. Treat your birds like birds not people.

I insulated with that foam board, cut to fit between the studs in my chicken shack, but only because I was able to get enough scrap pieces to make it work. The cavities are stuffed to the edge so there's no room for critters or bugs. I covered it with 1/4" sheeting as I came across it, again scrap stuff.
Floor is several inches of straw, cleaned out somewhat regularly and added to compost pile.
I can't help but think it helps keep heat in when it's cold, although it doesn't really get that cold here. 250W red heat lamp with thermostat keeps them warm.
Solar powered fans for when it's hot, along with a large crank out Anderson window, with screen, helps keep them cool when it's hot.
Nothing but the best for my girls.
I figure the eggs are about $10 to 20 each.

Back
Top Bottom