Should I interfere?? Help!

Kayleighdons

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2020
Wales. UK.
Hi I am new here.
My neighbours chicken run got ravaged by foxes. 😢 Sadly none of the hens or roos survived. We managed to gather up the eggs left behind (7) and we popped them straight in a incubator. It's not the best incubator and quite old but it was the best we could do in a hurry. We set it up and got the temp to a steady 101°. Humidity was at 45%.
We candle them a few days later and there was life in 3 of them sadly the other 4 had all passed with clear blood lines and a detached aircell in one. . We could see the embryos clearly and they seemed quite active all the way up to day 17, air cells looked great and we're growing nicely. On day 18 they went in to lockdown the I kept the temp at 101° and raised humidity to 65% we haven't opened the incubator since late on day 17.
Yesterday was day 19 at approx 11.30am we heared chirping coming from inside one of the eggs, now if I have got this correct that means he has pipped internally making his way into the air cell? I haven't heared him chirp since approx 6pm last night or even seen any of them wobble.
I am concerned about the one I heared chirping as its now been 24 hours since I heared him chirp. I have no external pips on the chirping egg he has gone silent. I don't want to open the incubator just incase. I would like nature to take its course. I'm worried just incase he runs out of oxygen or has got stuck.
We are completely new to this so if I have made a mistake please don't be to hard I am really just trying to give these little guys the best chance.
Thanks.

Keep the humidity up. That temperature is likely why you had such an early pip. Since the chick hasn't pipped externally yet, try candling it to check for movement. Chicks don't get shrink wrapped without an external pip so as long as none have yet you're safe to do so.
I'd turn the temperature even down to 98.5/99 now that they're hatching. It won't hurt them.

Chicks that hatch early from high temperatures are usually a bit louder than usual. I had a hatch run hot a few weeks ago and mine sure were.

Keep the humidity up. That temperature is likely why you had such an early pip. Since the chick hasn't pipped externally yet, try candling it to check for movement. Chicks don't get shrink wrapped without an external pip so as long as none have yet you're safe to do so.
I'd turn the temperature even down to 98.5/99 now that they're hatching. It won't hurt them.

Chicks that hatch early from high temperatures are usually a bit louder than usual. I had a hatch run hot a few weeks ago and mine sure were.
Thank you for your advice I have turned the temp down now. I was really trying not to candle them or remove them from the incubator as I read that it could interfere with hatching. I was concerned about him being shrink wrapped or running out of oxygen. I am no expert I only know what I have learned since taking in the eggs.

I have only done a few hatches, but I think you should probably let the chick be for now. Because the temp is a little high, they should hatch a little early. If by tomorrow (day 20) you aren't seeing any cracks, you could take action. Best of luck!
Today is day 20. No chirping today. I will see how the night goes.

Theres a lot to learn and a lot of different ways of doing things, and people are really militant about their preferences. You're not wrong to be cautious.
It's tricky, you do want the chick to run out of air because that triggers the external pip, and letting that happen naturally makes it more likely the chick will be ready to hatch when it does pip. I've assisted hatches but only after an external pip, I don't know what to look for to successfully do so before.

This article may be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
It has a lot of information for if you do decide to intervene and what to look for to make that decision.

Back
Top Bottom