Should I intervene?

GHH633

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2021
Hi, we just had two Khaki Campbells hatch successfully however this little fella was upside down and hadn’t moved for ages. Whilst I took first duckling out the incubator I quickly turned the egg upwards and duckling started moving again, however in the last 3 hours it hasn’t made any progress and it’s bill has been in the same position, it also seems to be gasping. Do you think it needs help or should I just let it be?

Attachments

• 13CB0E74-D4AC-4856-87CC-36AF5A39D4A3.jpeg
    13CB0E74-D4AC-4856-87CC-36AF5A39D4A3.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 33
Hi, we just had two Khaki Campbells hatch successfully however this little fella was upside down and hadn’t moved for ages. Whilst I took first duckling out the incubator I quickly turned the egg upwards and duckling started moving again, however in the last 3 hours it hasn’t made any progress and it’s bill has been in the same position, it also seems to be gasping. Do you think it needs help or should I just let it be?
Well..that gasping may be what we call yawning and chewing..which means it's still abdorbing yolk.
If it's malpositioned you may indeed need to help it though. But I wouldn't get in a big hurry. Ducks are slow hatchers.

Well..that gasping may be what we call yawning and chewing..which means it's still abdorbing yolk.
If it's malpositioned you may indeed need to help it though. But I wouldn't get in a big hurry. Ducks are slow hatchers.
Thank you, it’s difficult to tell if malpositioned as it’s a very small hole, it looks like it’s almost chewing so you may we’ll be right, however its bill has remained in the same position for hours whilst the others seemed to be able to bring their bills in an out of the hole, hence why I thought it was stuck it had been upside down for a while. I’ll leave it until bedtime and if no change I may just adjust the hole a little 😊

Thank you, it’s difficult to tell if malpositioned as it’s a very small hole, it looks like it’s almost chewing so you may we’ll be right, however its bill has remained in the same position for hours whilst the others seemed to be able to bring their bills in an out of the hole, hence why I thought it was stuck it had been upside down for a while. I’ll leave it until bedtime and if no change I may just adjust the hole a little 😊
Yeah I know. It's really hard to judge. Check out that article and kind of judge based on time and yawning and chewing. Sometimes they surprise you and just suddenly turn and zip after sitting still forever!
And sometimes they start peeping and having a tantrum when they're stuck and need help.

@GHH633 hows it going with the hatch?
Well we now have 5!! 👏🏻I had to intervene with one, as per my original post, I helped him a couple times and eventually this morning with further assistance he popped out, however he’d been in with another hatchling who wanted to sit on him constantly so we took them out and temporarily split them up, he hadnt been able to get his balance and walk properly but they’re all in together now and doing fine. The final one is just drying off in the incubator. It’s so stressful being a duck mum 😫

Back
Top Bottom