Should I just leave it

May 20, 2022
So on Saturday I made a 30 minute trip to a poultry breeder we collected a white Auracana and Speckldys To join our flock when we arrived there one had a clipped beak and the breeder proceeded to grab the white Auracana to clip her beak as well we asked him not to and he told us he had to still do it. At the same time he told us he was going to be putting worming drops on their backs he also proceeded to let us know that the white Auracana how to skate the night before and that is why she was filthy . We laughed and we paid him and went off back home.

We currently have a light Sussex Cockrell and black Astrolarpe which have been living in a coop for two weeks. As the advice from everyone was not to integrate them straight away we have not done so. Today I decided to contact the seller because the white hen seemed to have very bad yellow feathers around her vent and I no longer thought it was because she was dirty from her escape the night prior. The breeder told me there was no way that she had gleet As they take very good care of their flocks.
I brushed it off and decided I would bathe her to get a better look at what was going on. Palm bathing her I’ve come to the realisation that she is covered in mites and her feathers are broken off at the base and her skin is extremely irritated.

Again I contacted the breeder and let him know that I wasn’t very happy but it seemed that the hen in question had mites and I felt that it was only right to let him know that there was a possibility that his flock was infested with mites as well.

He is now shifting the blame onto me and my chickens even though we’ve kept them separated and said that he picked up six random chickens out of his flock and none of them have mites or lice.
He’s now asking me to return the chicken and to take her to get inspected by him.

There is no way on gods green earth that I would return a chicken back to someone that wasn’t bothered in the first place.

I don’t know hat to say to this person but this is really wrong.
C00C000F-3337-4A19-A8D3-63D1435D874C.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C50C11F-01B1-41DC-80A4-345D8805E3E4.jpeg
    8C50C11F-01B1-41DC-80A4-345D8805E3E4.jpeg
    472.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 61B3ABB8-AB09-4AB7-9B8A-8DBF3DC15B6F.jpeg
    61B3ABB8-AB09-4AB7-9B8A-8DBF3DC15B6F.jpeg
    472.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 7B3A59C0-717D-44C5-8665-DAB1E1FAF71B.jpeg
    7B3A59C0-717D-44C5-8665-DAB1E1FAF71B.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 6CB9EAA9-6BAD-4ABD-BFB6-E9341093E1FB.jpeg
    6CB9EAA9-6BAD-4ABD-BFB6-E9341093E1FB.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 5
I know a very good spray that I use for my chickens that kills mites or chicken fleas instantly it's called Adams flea and tick spray it has a dog and a cat on it but I works amazingly on hens I get it from Walmart I am not sure where you would have it available

At the same time he told us he was going to be putting worming drops on their backs he also proceeded to let us know that the white Auracana how to skate the night before and that is why she was filthy .
I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this.

I would not make any more contact with this breeder.
Just curious how you found them, social media, Facebook, website?

Putting "worming drops" on their backs, I have to wonder if that was Ivermectin Pour On and he was trying to quickly treat the mites.

From your microscope photo, the bug has 8 legs, so it would be a mite.

If you are in the U.S. Go to TSC or similar farm store and get a Permethrin based poultry dust and/or spray. Treat the birds, any of them that have been together and their housing.
I prefer to keep both dust and spray on hand. I dust the birds, putting a small amount of dust in a sock, then using it like a powder puff on the feathers, work the dust through the feathers all the way down to the skin. The infestation you have is heavy, so work it in good. Don't forget the top of the head and under the beak/throat too.
If using dust, wear gloves and a mask.
Spray, I buy Permethrin 10 concentrate, it's economical and makes many gallons. I mix it according to the direction sheet. Spray your housing/coop/roosting bars/nesting boxes, etc.
Repeat treating the birds and housing in 5 day intervals.

Absolutely keep these separated out. Can you get some photos of them standing and of their beaks?
I have never heard of anyone saying they had to trim the beak before they sold birds.

I'd also deworm them. Safeguard liquid goat dewormer, dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Observe for any other symptoms like mucous, coughing, sneezing, runny or bubbly eyes, etc. Now...don't freak out if they give a sneeze right after you dust them with permethrin dust. I'm talking about consistent/continual sneezing like having respiratory illness.

Do try to provide them with an area where they can dust bath too. Hard to do if you have them quarantined. A tub with some dirt or peatmoss/sand mix will work well.

Back
Top Bottom