Should I keep her alive or not?

I too have a red sexlink that is blind in one eye. My daughter goes out everyday to take care of her. She makes sure that she has food and get water and when she lets the other chickens out to free range, she keeps Pip Squeak in the run with a few special treats just for her. Every once in awhile she puts everyone in the run and pip Squeak out to free range with the roo of course. Rudy like her and my daughter thinks that Pip Squeak needs Rudy.
Best of luck with your decision.
smile.png

Is it possible to make her her own little coop and find her a friend that won't pick on her for company? Perhaps another docile chicken, a duck ,phesant or rabbit? I know of some of my horse friends that have blind horses and they cling to one buddy in the pasture and use them as their eyes.They follow them around and with their own area they remember better were food and water are etc. They enjoy the companionship and they fill the void off what they lost.
smile.png

I have a blind Cockeral. He has been living in the house with us since he was born. He is 11 weeks old tomarrow. We keep him in a cage. His food dish is in one corner and water in the other. We do have a roost in there about 2 inches from the bottom and he manouvers well on & off the roost.

We decided to keep him, and just give him special TLC. We have an area in the yard just for him to play, take dirt baths, etc.....He is terrified of noise, and the other chickens as they used to peck him. Now he stays away from them except when I have peeps I let them be with him. He is very loving and gentle with the peeps.

He knows who mommy & daddy is, comes to us when we call him and loves to be rocked. Some say it is cruel to keep him alive but I disagree. Granted he is a lot of work but we would not have it any other way. We feel God created him this way for a reason and gave him to us to love. I say keep your chicken, you will have a wonderful, rewarding experience. If I can help at all just let me know.

DeeDee

We have two 'special' chickens. A rooster with one eye that lives in a chicken tractor and a one legged hen who lives with the flock. 'One Eye' could live with the girls but the other roosters beat him up so we keep him separate. 'Peggy' just lost her foot a couple of weeks ago (due to frostbite) so she is still adjusting to her new life. Some chickens bother her but she is pretty wiley and hovers about the others that get picked on. If things don't improve I'll fix her a special area like his.

Thanks you guys, really it makes things easier for me to know that I'm not being silly to keep her alive. I'll put together a little area just for her. Hopefully one of my new chicks will be gentle and can stay with her. I have one black white crested polish that is good to her but she is very bonded with my buff laced polish girl and that one does pick on her. I can't seperate those two to move the good one in with Rose I think they would miss eachother....so for now she will be alone but safe.

Honestly I want to thank each of you for helping me with this, I've been going back and forth on this decision for weeks now and you guys are the best for giving me the help I needed to figure out what is best for her.

Back
Top Bottom