should i keep my chickens apart for breedind purposes?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenwhat, Jun 25, 2011.

1. chickenwhat

chickenwhat Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Douglasville,Ga
    [​IMG] I have bo's and ba's, i bought them in sets 1roo to 3hens each. Should i keep them in another pen to keep them pure ? I want to be able to sell chicks one day!
    I am new a this and I have read alot of info and it's all starting to run together, on overload.....And my chickens should start laying any day soooooooooooo I need to do this today sometime
    help............................................[​IMG]

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I keep my breeding chickens together in the same pen always. The only time I remove a hen is when she is broody or needs a break from the roo.

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    all my different colors/breeds stay seperately. I usually keep the roosters (bantam) in a chicken hutch by themselves and the hens are in the runs. The roosters get put in with the hens 2 times per week to breed the hens. Then they get put back in their cages. This keeps my hens and roos in condition for shows while still having my showers be my breeders as well!

4. chickenwhat

chickenwhat Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Douglasville,Ga
    Quote:thank you very much, and i'll pm you later about some eggs building bigger coops right now and waiting on my bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by