Should I keep the least dominant rooster?

frogdogranch

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2022
Hey everyone! So I want to keep at least 1 cooper maran roosters from the 4 I hatched. They're about 4-5 months old right now. I was originally going to keep 1 but I'm thinking now I might keep 2-3 (recommended by the hatchery I got for spiral breeding). But either way the rooster that I think is the prettiest is also the shyest and probably a little bit bullied. I haven't seen any direct bullying behavior towards him but he stays away from the other chickens and is more reluctant to join them and less keen to investigate new things (I give them some new food they haven't tried before and he waits in the coop). I'm wondering if that should be a cause for concern if I do decide to keep him as my primary rooster for a flock. Would he be likely to be part of the flock more if the other roosters were gone or would I risk him just not being a good rooster in general.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

I have been raising cockerels for 6 years now, and I'd say it's too early to tell how any of them are going to turn out. Self-isolation may indicate he's not feeling great right now rather than that he's inherently shy. Disinterest in new things likewise. I would make sure he's getting access to food in peace and quiet so he doesn't starve while unwell, and wait to make your decisions - I'd wait until they're a year old tbh. How they are during the teenage hormone surge is not representative of how they are as mature roos.

My only experience with two roosters in the same coop were a pair of day-old chicks who lived together until they were teenagers. At that point, Pauly became a terror, attacking me, the occasional caretaker and the other rooster. Pauly went to live with a rooster flock elsewhere.

Billy Boy, who had been mercilessly bullied, was suddenly the King of the Coop -- and became a total jerk. However, he's a beautiful boy, could father lovely chicks and we have FINALLY reached an understanding about NOT attacking me. Just my experience -- it might have all changed had I given the boys more time, as @Perris suggested. I'm told Pauly is fine in the rooster flock.

How many hens do you have? How old are the hens? Chicken society can be a bit rough. Personally - I would not want 3-4 roosters unless I had 60 hens. Roosters are rather easy to come by. I think if you are just getting started in this, starting with one rooster is a great idea.

As for which rooster to keep - you are correct in the idea that if you remove roosters, the others will change in reaction to that. I divided, cull and wait and see.
  1. Remove any rooster you just don't like for any reason.
  2. Wait 2-3 weeks
  3. Divide into the culls and the maybe keeps - cull again
  4. Wait 2-3 weeks - by that time, one rooster generally does stand out.
It is the third decision that can be a dilly - and I have considered it nearly 24 hours a day for days.

Mrs K

I have been raising cockerels for 6 years now, and I'd say it's too early to tell how any of them are going to turn out. Self-isolation may indicate he's not feeling great right now rather than that he's inherently shy. Disinterest in new things likewise. I would make sure he's getting access to food in peace and quiet so he doesn't starve while unwell, and wait to make your decisions - I'd wait until they're a year old tbh. How they are during the teenage hormone surge is not representative of how they are as mature roos.
Hadn't considered that. He doesn't appear to be ill (just as healthy and plump as the others) but just in case I'll make sure to set up a location where just he can go.

How many hens do you have? How old are the hens? Chicken society can be a bit rough. Personally - I would not want 3-4 roosters unless I had 60 hens. Roosters are rather easy to come by. I think if you are just getting started in this, starting with one rooster is a great idea.

As for which rooster to keep - you are correct in the idea that if you remove roosters, the others will change in reaction to that. I divided, cull and wait and see.
  1. Remove any rooster you just don't like for any reason.
  2. Wait 2-3 weeks
  3. Divide into the culls and the maybe keeps - cull again
  4. Wait 2-3 weeks - by that time, one rooster generally does stand out.
It is the third decision that can be a dilly - and I have considered it nearly 24 hours a day for days.

Mrs K
I'm going to have a couple of small flocks separated from each other. I definitely wouldn't put 3-4 roosters in with only a few hens. I am a little more wary of sourcing birds I didn't hatch myself just because I had a mycoplasma issue and had to cull my entire flock. I'd prefer to avoid the heartache again.

I think your method is a good idea. I'll probably start by getting rid of my least favorite and go from there.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! Sounds like I don't need to worry too much right now about personality and mixing up the flock will probably change things up. Sounds like it might also take a little while for their personalities to fully develop.

Another point is when you hatch, you will get more roosters. As you hatch would be a great time to add in some rooster day old chicks. Day old chicks are considered pretty safe to introduce. Easy way to spiral.

Not saying your plan won't work, just giving another idea if it doesn't work. I myself, have had a lot of plans NOT WORK..

Back
Top Bottom