should i keep two roosters together with only 7 hens

nickrex98

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 2, 2011
georgia
only two of my hens will be used for breeding if i have all the chickens together will i still most likely get pure breeds(oh by the way this question right there is my second question, my first question was in the subject)
thumbsup.gif

More than likely your hens well be chased no end by the two roosters. Usually flocks of multiple roosters have about double the hen count. It could get pretty crazy at your place and the hens roosting up high to get away from the roosters. It will be pretty hard on them. Standard rule of thumb is 1 rooster/8 hens.

The only way you get purebred chicks is if both the parents are purebreds of the same breed.

So without knowing what breeds your chickens are, nobody can tell you if you will get purebred chicks or not.

If only 2 of the hens are to be used for breding, do you have a way to distinguish their eggs from the rest of the eggs?

ok i have 3 black australorp hens and 3 ee hens and one mystery chick 1 black australorp roo and 1 ee roo. they will all be kept together

Last edited:
Quote:
If the two purebred birds are hens what breed is the rooster? He would either need to be EE or Australorp which means only one hen can produce a purebred egg for hatching....all others would be crosses or barnyard mutts. Still nice birds, just not purebred.

I agree with the previous poster......1 Roo for 8 hens. Yours girls will not be happy with two guys!! Plus the 2 Roos may become combative/territorial with each other. My thoughts......get more hens or get rid of a Roo. Everyone will be happy!!

Back
Top Bottom