I just went outside and got these pictures of Turkey.
20220823_135945_HDR.jpg

I'm going to separate her tonight a bit before I put all the other birds up.
Turkey is blind in her left eye.
Here's the link to the thread about what happened to her eye in case you wanted to know what happened to it.

Attachments

• 20220823_135949.jpg
    20220823_135949.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220823_140003.jpg
    20220823_140003.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 1
Welp I'm a bit bummed out, the duck egg has a slight crack in it. I candled it before I moved it to the spot where I'm separating Turkey from everyone else and I found a slight crack in it.
Turkey still has the egg and is in the new nest I don't know what to do now but I am going to be making sure she has access to food and water all day long in her new nest area.
Turkey is a very dedicated broody, hopefully in the future if she hatches anything she'll be just as good a momma to the babies themselves as she is to the eggs.

Is it wise to still let her try hatching the egg now that I know about the small crack that's just in the egg shell from what I can tell?
If this egg won't be able to hatch cause of the crack, next year Turkey might go broody or one of the other chickens or ducks broody and if any do I'll be more prepared for it and maybe they'll actually get some good results.
I just don't need any drakes I already have two and only six female ducks for them so hopefully any future duck hatches (if there will be any) will not be male.

Here's where the egg is cracked:(
20220824_083608.jpg

The egg if it's still alive has a heart and probably a little more than that but I couldn't tell when I canceled it before I tool this picture which I was using my phones flashlight and was in a well lit spot.

Here is Turkey's improvised nest. That took me probably only about 10-20 minutes to make.
20220824_082927_HDR.jpg
20220824_082930.jpg

Later tonight when I candle the egg, if it doesn't look like it's doing much I am going toss the egg and get Turkey back into shape before winter comes.
I've been putting Nutri-drench in her water here and there and have been putting a little in her food which I did a few hours ago.

I am going to toss the egg tomorrow. I think it's dead and that crack in the shell is also just not good, Turkey has been sitting longer than I'd like her to and what's good for her.
20220824_211253_HDR.jpg
20220824_211256_HDR.jpg

I tried getting good pictures of the egg. Does it look like it's still developing? Even if it is I don't want Turkey sitting anymore. When I candles it I watched it closely for a while and I saw no movement from it.

I am going to toss the egg tomorrow. I think it's dead and that crack in the shell is also just not good, Turkey has been sitting longer than I'd like her to and what's good for her.
View attachment 3235220View attachment 3235221
I tried getting good pictures of the egg. Does it look like it's still developing? Even if it is I don't want Turkey sitting anymore. When I candles it I watched it closely for a while and I saw no movement from it.
That is a pretty bad crack and I personally would not try to hatch it. Couple reasons: It may not develop and if it does and eventually hatch, it likely could have some kind of bacterial infections. Usually, I would only want to hatch eggs that have cracks in a semi (or mostly sterile) environment, like an incubator. I wouldn't put a cracked egg under a hen. Please keep in mind that this is only my 2 cents. Good luck!

Welp I'm a bit bummed out, the duck egg has a slight crack in it. I candled it before I moved it to the spot where I'm separating Turkey from everyone else and I found a slight crack in it.
Turkey still has the egg and is in the new nest I don't know what to do now but I am going to be making sure she has access to food and water all day long in her new nest area.
Turkey is a very dedicated broody, hopefully in the future if she hatches anything she'll be just as good a momma to the babies themselves as she is to the eggs.

Is it wise to still let her try hatching the egg now that I know about the small crack that's just in the egg shell from what I can tell?
If this egg won't be able to hatch cause of the crack, next year Turkey might go broody or one of the other chickens or ducks broody and if any do I'll be more prepared for it and maybe they'll actually get some good results.
I just don't need any drakes I already have two and only six female ducks for them so hopefully any future duck hatches (if there will be any) will not be male.
cracked eggs can hatch, but they need to be fixed. If left, they likely won't hatch.
You can drip clear candle wax over cracks, and that will seal it.
But that crack was pretty bad, I'm not sure fixing it would've made a difference.
I didnt see this until now, sorry!

Back
Top Bottom