Should I let my chickens run around outside of the coop?

LegionBoi

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
Hello Backyard Chickens. The coop my chickens are kept in isn't particularly cramped, but I do feel guilty about mostly keeping them stuck inside the coop in the months since I got them. Is it okay to let them run around in the backyard or in the house, or are they supposed to stay inside the coop?

Edit: The house backyard is taken up mostly by the pool, and is surrounded by bricks. If I can, how should I let them roam around?

Hello Backyard Chickens. The coop my chickens are kept in isn't particularly cramped, but I do feel guilty about mostly keeping them stuck inside the coop in the months since I got them. Is it okay to let them run around in the backyard or in the house, or are they supposed to stay inside the coop?

Edit: The house backyard is taken up mostly by the pool, and is surrounded by bricks. If I can, how should I let them roam around?
Please post pictures.
I'd be concerned about them falling in the pool.
How large is their current run and how many birds do you have in it?

It would certainly depend on the safety of your yard , but sure go for it. They will go inside at night. On the up side they will be healthier and happier. On the down side they poop a lot and have no respect for my deck. You can always start by supervision and then lure them back to run with treats. Do you just have a coop? Do they have a run also? How old are they? Hawks can be an issue for smaller hens. But I've only lost one to a hawk in the past 10 years. They smarten up fast.

You may want to double check the standards for space per bird. I do not think their safety around the pool is much of a concern. My chickens are free range with three ponds in the immediate vicinity and nobody has fallen in yet. And unless you have planters at the waterline i do not see chickens spending much time wondering around the concrete apron. However, you are going to be in shock when you see poop in other places you can not imagine. Some folks will say you have to let them out in order for them to be happy. this is primarily a wives tale. Since i became physically impaired right after getting my coop built my chickens had to stay in the coop for a few months. They never tried to get out even when the door was opened to clean or feed. However once you let them out they will forever more want to be let out.

Back
Top Bottom