Should i let these eggs hatch or discard?

Ive had an easter egger get it weeks later had nothing to do with an injury. But personally hate crossbeaks and last ones I had from the hen all were culled I dont have time for birds that cant eat on their own
It’s really interesting, how it works. I don’t think mine was caused by genetics just because my pullet dealt with a lot of injury and delay, so it could have easily been one of the other reasons. I love mine, but that’s just because I’m a sucker for special needs chickens. They are so sweet, and all of mine can eat on their own. They don’t need any kind of special help other than beak trims every now and then. I can understand why you culled yours. They can be hard, and not everyone has the time. If I were in that situation, I would probably have to do the same.

she has a huge clutch under her now.
There is a fair chance you would have a staggered hatch, the chicks will not hatch at the same time. Other hens will often continue to lay under her. If she has trouble covering all of them some could be pushed out from under her, cool off and die, then pushed back under her. That causes another egg to be pushed out and cool off. If the hen can't cover them all you often do not get a good hatch.

The problem is the only rooster that is in with my girls has problems that I'm afraid are genetic, crossbeaked, deaf and very tiny (smaller than my bantam). And I never wanted to breed him just let him live his days out loved and cared for.
Not just crossbeaked but other problems that might or might not be genetic. I don't know if any of this makes him special needs, he may be able to manage on his own with the flock. I don't know what your goals and desires are. Some people really enjoy drama and stress, others prefer a less stressful existence. What would you do if his chicks have some of these deficiencies or others that severely interfere with their quality of life. What would you do with any boys that hatch? Can you handle more roosters?

I feel guilty either way lol. What would you do?
It doesn't matter what I would do, it's your goals and desires that count. I think you are keeping them as pets. Really sure you are not raising them for meat. I don't know how important the eggs are to you or if you have room or a desire for more chickens. With my goals and desires for as little stress as I can manage I would not hatch them. But I can't make that decision for you. Good luck.

Thanks everyone! I decided to get rid of the clutch. We raise strictly for eggs and don't really want any more roosters right now, I currently have 5 including the cross altho he is the only one with the girls. And I'm afraid of not having time to hand care for any more with disabilities when I'm gone with work. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions 🙂

Hello! So I had to leave for a work trip and the person that was watching the hens didn't move one of my girls for 10 days... she has a huge clutch under her now. The problem is the only rooster that is in with my girls has problems that I'm afraid are genetic, crossbeaked, deaf and very tiny (smaller than my bantam). And I never wanted to breed him just let him live his days out loved and cared for. I only candled a couple eggs and they are starting to develop... should I just put them in the woods? Should I let them hatch? I feel guilty either way lol. What would you do?
Hello! So I had to leave for a work trip and the person that was watching the hens didn't move one of my girls for 10 days... she has a huge clutch under her now. The problem is the only rooster that is in with my girls has problems that I'm afraid are genetic, crossbeaked, deaf and very tiny (smaller than my bantam). And I never wanted to breed him just let him live his days out loved and cared for. I only candled a couple eggs and they are starting to develop... should I just put them in the woods? Should I let them hatch? I feel guilty either way lol. What would you do?
Since you ask, “What would you do?”… What I would do is, first make sure she is comfortable, in a brooder, with fresh food and water… Then I would let her and nature run its course… Not very likely that “All” the chicks will present with all the conditions you mentioned…. Letting a hen brood is very healthy for her too. So, that’s another good reason for me. Second, she may hatch out another clutch after these, which would be good timing for me. Last, but not least, you may be very pleased with her results/breed. It’s a gamble, or generic roulette… Also, for me, I wouldn’t have a problem culling, if needed (I hate doing it, but when necessary…) If not in a painful situation, raise them for 4-6 months and process them with the meat chickens. Also, keep in mind that in most cases, the mother knows when something is very wrong and will deal with the chick/egg by abandoning it… So watch her for clues. If she hasn’t kicked out any eggs, it could be a good sign…
So, now let us know, “What would you do?…” 😕

So, now let us know, “What would you do?…”
Their decision was in the post just above yours ;)
Thanks everyone! I decided to get rid of the clutch. We raise strictly for eggs and don't really want any more roosters right now, I currently have 5 including the cross altho he is the only one with the girls. And I'm afraid of not having time to hand care for any more with disabilities when I'm gone with work. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions 🙂

Back
Top Bottom