Should I mix black oil sunflower seeds in with the chicken feed?

Ahogan

Chirping
Jun 2, 2020
I want to add black oil sunflower seeds to my chickens' diet. Should I mix them with their feed? Or, should I feed the seeds to them separately? The reason I'm asking is I don't want to leave food out that might attract rodents, etc., so scattering them isn't ideal. (also, I've noticed they don't eat all the seeds and am wondering if that's because they blend in with the dirt and they, therefore, don't see them).

Thank you!

No!!
Heck no don't mix it into their complete balanced feed.
Sunflower seeds are a treat and should not be given often.... Definitely not daily.
Awesome. Thank you! I bought them because they have been pecking and eating each other's feathers..... will keep it separate, but now wondering how often to feed to them.

Thank you!

Awesome. Thank you! I bought them because they have been pecking and eating each other's feathers..... will keep it separate, but now wondering how often to feed to them.

Thank you!
Never. I'd feed it to the wild birds before I fed it to my chickens.

If your birds are eating each other's feathers then that could mean they're not getting enough protein in their diet.
It could mean a few other things too but....

What exact feed are you feeding them?

I feed black sunflower seeds. It is maybe 2 percent percent at most of the mix I make.
Black oil sunflower seeds are high in fat, but do have protein, vitamins and essential amino acids.
Use of any treat should be sparingly.
My chickens spend more time free ranging than sitting by a feeder. the sunflower seed is a very small percentage if their diet. I never see left over sunflower seed.

I don't feed them to my chickens either, it's a high fat tasty treat, eaten preferentially, and then promoting fatty liver issues with the high status birds in the flock. Not good!
Here we have all the feed and any treats in the coop and safe roofed run, not outside, where other critters are attracted, and show up at night.
Also, feeding a low protein diet like the 16% protein layer feeds, and then adding more low protein, high fat treats, makes that marginal protein diet actually deficient, so more feather eating is likely to happen. Our flock gets a 20% protein all-flock diet, with oyster shell in a separate feeder, and their molts are milder and faster, and every bird gets what they need, actively laying eggs, or not.
Mary

sunflower seeds are amongst the healthiest seed a chicken can eat but any diet needs to be balanced so a handful of seeds no more than twice a week.

Ps: sunflower seeds contain 26% protein

That's 26% fat, 15% protein. You had it backwards.

I only toss sunflower to the birds on the coldest mornings of the winter. Handful or two each of the negative 0F days. That high fat is then used as fuel and not going to fat on the bird. It has a purpose.

The problem with black oil sunflower is the fat content. Depending on the seed can be 15 to 20 percent protein from what I have read. SOme varieties of seed are suppose to be higher in protein yet.

Back
Top Bottom