Should I move my broody hen?

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
My hen Pancakes just went broody if she remains on the eggs for another day or two, what should we do? We want her to hatch them, so should we move her to a seperate area to hatch the eggs or leave her in the coop nesting boxes with other hens? I’m worried they may try to kick her off of the eggs and cause her to stop being broody. If we should move her, please lmk how to do so and where to put her

My hen Pancakes just went broody if she remains on the eggs for another day or two, what should we do? We want her to hatch them, so should we move her to a seperate area to hatch the eggs or leave her in the coop nesting boxes with other hens? I’m worried they may try to kick her off of the eggs and cause her to stop being broody. If we should move her, please lmk how to do so and where to put her
I currently have one broody aswell, she if first time broody pullet and she does good job but she wasn't raised by me and isn't comfortable being in house. All I did was cover her nest box entrance and let her outside every day 2 times for 10 mins. She needs to eat,poop,drink, stretch and dust bathe. I tried moving her but she wasn't gonna sit on other place. I covered her nest box since it gets cold at night. I would try to move her and if she isn't willing to move, then just cover her so others can't lay in her spot or annoy her. Good luck and update on hatched chicks!😊
20230209_135312.jpg

I currently have one broody aswell, she if first time broody pullet and she does good job but she wasn't raised by me and isn't comfortable being in house. All I did was cover her nest box entrance and let her outside every day 2 times for 10 mins. She needs to eat,poop,drink, stretch and dust bathe. I tried moving her but she wasn't gonna sit on other place. I covered her nest box since it gets cold at night. I would try to move her and if she isn't willing to move, then just cover her so others can't lay in her spot or annoy her. Good luck and update on hatched chicks!😊View attachment 3407088
If I were to cover the open sides of her nest box with hanging beach towels (like curtains sorta) do you think she would be able to push herself through the curtain and out of the curtain to get in and out?

This past summer I had one broody hen that I moved and another one that I left in her nesting box. Both did a good job raising their chicks. Of course giving the hen an isolated space allows her to fully concentrate on her eggs, although if she is dedicated it should work out either way. What is your coop setup? Is it secure for potential chicks?
If you do move your hen, try doing at after dark. This creates less disturbance and the hen is more likely to accept the new nesting spot.

If I were to cover the open sides of her nest box with hanging beach towels (like curtains sorta) do you think she would be able to push herself through the curtain and out of the curtain to get in and out?
She should be able to get out but you need to be careful, there are some commited broodies that won't go out of nest for eating, drinking or most important pooping one eggs. Had that happened with this one first days when I didn't cover her nest box and now I have to take her out 2 times a day to makes sure she poops so eggs won't be pooped on.

She should be able to get out but you need to be careful, there are some commited broodies that won't go out of nest for eating, drinking or most important pooping one eggs. Had that happened with this one first days when I didn't cover her nest box and now I have to take her out 2 times a day to makes sure she poops so eggs won't be pooped on.
How soon will I be able to tell if she stops eating/drinking? I know her comb will change colors, but will I be able to tell before she gets dehydrated/starved?

How soon will I be able to tell if she stops eating/drinking? I know her comb will change colors, but will I be able to tell before she gets dehydrated/starved?
You can check daily and see if crop is full or empty. You can keep food near her beak so she doesn't need to get up but she can spill water and damage the nest so no water near her.

You can check daily and see if crop is full or empty. You can keep food near her beak so she doesn't need to get up but she can spill water and damage the nest so no water near her.
I would not keep food near her, as when I have tried that what happens is the broody will eat, and that will make her feel the need to poop.
And they don't always seem the best at getting off just to poop, but if they need to get off to eat as well, they will almost always get off.
All mine have got off by themselves, but you will never see them because they do it when no one is around.
If you are worried, it is ok to take them off the nest once a day, but no more than that.
You can't really go my comb colour, as when brooding their combs always go pale any way.
I wouldn't worry too much, try feeling her crop every now and then, and if it is always empty then you could take her off the nest once a day.
But broody hens have been managing for a long time, and their normally know better then we do.

You asked if you should move her. This will depend on your set up, and what you want to do. Your concern about the other hens breaking her broodiness is one thing I don't think you need to worry about. I have had hens lowest on the pecking order stay broody when left loose, but occasionally if there are other nests with eggs near the broody can change nests. If she seems to be sticking to the right nest other hens will still lay in the nest. You can solve this by marking the eggs she started with and remove all other eggs daily. If you choose to move her she needs to be in a place where she can not get back to the original nest. I put my broodies in dog kennels inside my coop. That way no one adds eggs and returning to the flock is easier. I open the kennels every morning. The hens take their break and then return to their nests. If the hen returns to their original nest then I simply pick them up and put them back in their cage. In my one coop I often start leaving the cage door open once the hen begins returning to the cage instead of her original nest.

Back
Top Bottom