Should I Pull The Trigger?

j2had2

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2023
Hi guys 👋,

So one of my buddies is looking to re-home a year old barred rock and i was just curious to know the laying life of them? is it worth it to get a one year old? Im looking for as much egg production as possible out of her.

also any tips about bringing them into a new environment and getting them comfortable enough to start laying again would be awesome! I heard after a change in environment they will stop laying for a week or two till they get accustomed.

Attachments

• IMG_2141.jpeg
    IMG_2141.jpeg
    962.8 KB · Views: 42
Barred rocks are known for there laying abilities. And if she a freebie that's even better. But yes it does take some time to acclimate her to her new home.

Barred rocks are known for there laying abilities. And if she a freebie that's even better. But yes it does take some time to acclimate her to her new home.
thanks for your response!

do you think getting one a year in is worth it still?

Can you possibly get 2 birds from this person? A single bird integration is more difficult. Do you have room to integrate a new bird or two?

Is this bird closer to 11 months or the cusp of 2 years? If she's on the older side and you're in northern hemisphere, she will likely molt and cease or slow laying until next spring. 2 year olds are still good layers in most cases.

Can you possibly get 2 birds from this person? A single bird integration is more difficult. Do you have room to integrate a new bird or two?

Is this bird closer to 11 months or the cusp of 2 years? If she's on the older side and you're in northern hemisphere, she will likely molt and cease or slow laying until next spring. 2 year olds are still good layers in most cases.
i have 2 other younger pullets (2-3 months) and the hen is a little over a year old. Id say a year and 1,2 months. I let them free in the backyard during the day and lock them in the coop at night. I live in Southern California so weather is still nice 76 is the average.

im just curious if a year old hen is worth getting if its only for egg production

i have 2 other younger pullets (2-3 months) and the hen is a little over a year old. Id say a year and 1,2 months. I let them free in the backyard during the day and lock them in the coop at night. I live in Southern California so weather is still nice 76 is the average.

im just curious if a year old hen is worth getting if its only fork egg production
One year old hens have stabilized there ovary functions and will lay consistent eggs and size of eggs.

Keep in mind that consistent egg production relies on the health of the bird, by season, and social wellbeing of the flock.

First of all, Barred Rocks have super human friendly personalities! I added one this year just because of that, and little Kiwi is curious and always right with me when I am out there. 😊

As far as egg production, my aunt had 6 barred rocks that were laying an egg a week or so even at 8 years old. They do take a short break in the winter as most breeds, and seem to give a few less every year but still a decent amount.

Back
Top Bottom