should I pull this scab off?

Pics
I will. She was barely limping today, but I went back in and pulled off half the scab and bandaged. I'll wait a couple days and look again. What I'm confused on is won't it scab up everytime I pull off the old scab, since it's a little wound?

I should be a little more correct with my words of choice, let's call it the core instead of the scab. The core is usually filled with bacteria, so even after antibiotics therapy, sometimes its necessary to remove the core, so you're left with an open wound that can heal properly.

@Isaac 0 Hi Isaac, can you take a look at the first photo in this post, from my duck Penny, and look at this one I took today, please, if you think you can offer any advice? This has been a long haul for us and I have tried so many things. This is the latest and best her foot has looked. Currently I've been bandaging every day, with the exception of maybe an hour so she can be in the yard and swim. I've been applying a Bumblefoot Tincture which I got from Moonlight Mile Herb Farm. Previous to that I'd been applying iodine. Previous to that I did a lot of things - pulled the scab and attempted to get the infection out, gave her antibiotics, gave her anti-inflammatories, used the DMSO gel, etc. Scab kept reforming (you can see a picture in the middle of the post) as a light brown scab in different places - some places would heal but I could never completely get rid of the scab - it would move around to different parts of the foot pad. When I look at it now it seems to be just about healed up. But you can see the little white parts under the skin in the middle and I'm wondering what that might be. Since she's been making so much progress with the bandaging and tinctue the last couple of weeks, it seems like I should continue on that path. Do you have any thoughts? I've been working on this since September, and we're both ready to be done!
IMG_1603.JPG

Okay, so do you think I should stay the course with the bandaging until all scabbing is completely gone? She still limps a little and I'm afraid it might be from dealing with this for so long. I also noticed she's getting heavier. I weighed her today and found her to be 11.5 pounds, up 1.5 pounds from a year or so ago. I don't really know how to go about putting her on a diet though alongside all my other hungry ducks.

@Isaac 0 Sorry to bother you again with this, but I just wanted to ask what you think about Penny's scab now 9 days later. It was looking so good and almost healed. I started leaving off her bandage for about 13 hours a day - just keeping it covered from after her morning swim, when I would giver her a quick soak and add some dmso gel and bandage until bedtime. Yesterday I left it off all day. This is what it looks like now, and shows the problem I've been having for several months. The scab starts growing, and then bits will heal under it and fall off and there will be pink skin, but if I neglect the bandage it grows all over again. What would you do if this was your duck?
IMG_1631.JPG

@Tycine1 Thanks. I'm not sure if you started at the top of the thread and saw the original bumblefoot scab from last September. It was a black scab and I believe at the time I got the infection out - we did antibiotics and did what you prescribed. But I've never been able to get the scab to go away. If you scroll back a few messages you can see how good it looked just 9 days ago. But I've since been leaving it unbandaged more, and the scab has gotten thicker. She's 11.5 pounds, so her body is rough on her feet in the first place. This duck is also prone to scabs in a weird way that the vet didn't know what it was. She gets odd scabs that grow out of her neck sometimes, or the sides of her legs. It's been like that since started getting her first feathers. They just dry up and fall off, so I don't worry about them, and it probably has nothing to do with this - but it's made me wonder if it's more callous than bumblefoot at this point.

Back
Top Bottom