Should I put a heat lamp in my coop??

steponme1104

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 4, 2011
Ok so I am new to chicken life
smile.png
I have inherited 3 silkies, a frizzle, 3 Brahmas, a buff orpington, 2 ameraucanas and a few more. Most are over a year, but a few are about 6 months. My coop is made of chicken wire and plywood. 2 sides are wire and 2 sides are wood. Do I need to put a lamp in the coop for heat. I'm worried they're going to get to cold at night. Today when I left for work there was frost on my car. I dont want them to freeze! They are kinda spoiled:) What do you guys think???

There was another post like this a few days ago, so you might try searching to see what others had to say. Seems the general consensus was, it's probably not necessary, that chickens tolerate the cold pretty well.

Personally, I put a heat lamp in my coop, but I leave the wooden part of the window open unless it's really windy, because my hens like to sit in it all night. They can roost close to the lamp if they're cool, and far from it if they get warm. Except for two nights so far, they've stayed away from it. Those two nights it was below freezing, sleeting and raining, and the wind was blowing, and I closed the window. Other nights, even when it rains, they want the window open and do not roost near the lamp.

My girls are spoiled too
wink.png

You may not need heat but I think you need more wooden sides so your chickens can get out of the wind. To stay warm they fluff up their feathers and a draft negates the warmng effect. I don't believe that silkies and frizzles are hardy breeds and they will benefit from having no drafts. Chicken wire, by the way, does not keep out predators but hardware cloth does, so I would put 4 wood sides on your coop and replace the remaining chicken wire with hardware cloth, or you could replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth and cover two sides with a tarp or something like that but leave a ventilation space up high. Searching this website will give you lots of ideas.
welcome-byc.gif

I'm in NJ, and I'm not going to heat the coop. Unless for some freak chance its in the teens for a week

Chickens can take a lot of cold,(maybe not silkies and frizzles) but I agree that an enclosed coop would help. If you choose to add heat it is OK.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom