Should I rehome a chicken?

Jun 9, 2021
Colorado
Hi there.
I’ve been having a problem with bullying for a long time now. I’ve made multiple threads about it, but I still don’t know what to do. We have enough space by the guidelines and a bit more in the run. The bullying is mainly one hen going after a younger hen. I’ve tried separating the mean hen and that did nothing. I’ve tried pinless peepers, but nothing seems to be working. I was wondering if I should rehome the bully or the bullied? Or should I not rehome any at all? I’m Kind of lost and I don’t know what to do. The bully is a Golden, and the bullied is a Salmon favorelle. Thanks.
Also, we have five hens in total four of them are around two years old and the one who is being bullied is almost a year old. We had two chicks, but one got taken by a raccoon. That’s why we only have one now.

I rehomed my bully hen recently. I think the chickens are much calmer now.

Either rehome the bully or the victim - keep the chicken you like more, or that suits your goals more. Note that the bully may pick a different victim if you rehome the victim. The victim is less likely to become a bully, since she's a SF, but it's possible she could.

You never know with chickens. Try it and see how it goes.

I rehomed my bully hen recently. I think the chickens are much calmer now.

Either rehome the bully or the victim - keep the chicken you like more, or that suits your goals more. Note that the bully may pick a different victim if you rehome the victim. The victim is less likely to become a bully, since she's a SF, but it's possible she could.

You never know with chickens. Try it and see how it goes.
Okay thanks.
The hen who bullies her the most is the bottom of the pecking order. She is pecked at a little bit by the flock leader but not as bad.

When you separated the bully....
.... how long was she isolated and how did the flock behave in her absence?
She was separated for about a week. The flock seemed fine with out her but the baby was much less anxious. I think it is not as bad as it was. I want to eventually get some chicks so we’ll have new egg layers, but we are only allowed a maximum of six and I would prefer to keep our Flock at five. Is it cruel to rehome the oldest hens? I love them a lot, so I would feel bad doing it.

Your Golden bully will move on, doing her chicken thing, and be fine.
Okay. Are there certain places that are good to look when rehoming a chicken? Also, I’m just thinking that it might be a good idea to rehome the victim? If I rehome her it will she be bullied wherever she goes next? She is very docile, so I am worried about that. I would like to keep her because she is young and very friendly. She gets picked on occasionally by the others, but it’s mainly by our Golden bully.

Back
Top Bottom