Should I restart my flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wwarren8200, Dec 11, 2014.

1. wwarren8200

wwarren8200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2014
    Florence,AL
    I'm happy with my breed so far but I want a flock of all hens and a pure breed unlike my mutt breed that includes roosters. They do breed very well and lay large strong eggs 6-7 times a week. Should I sell my flock and start over with a pure breed?

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    If you're happy with your current flock (it sounds like they are good layers), maybe you could keep them but have another, 2nd flock of the purebreds if you have the room and time for two flocks. What are your reasons for wanting purebred chickens? Are you tired of having roosters and little chicks? Do you like the appearance of a particular purebred bird? Are you wanting to get into showing birds? Maybe the answers to questions like that will help you decide what to do with your current flock.

3. wwarren8200

Feb 2, 2014
    Florence,AL
    I love my birds and even my roosters but I just would like to be able to say I have a flock[​IMG] of RIR australorp etc because it's kinda embarrassing having to explain the blood lines of my breed. (Only me and one other guy in Germany have this particular breed so they are extremely rare) [​IMG][/IMG] here are some pics of my birds too :)

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If I was happy with the birds I had, I wouldn't change, especially if egg production is a priority, but since you mentioned Australorps, if you do decide to go with a pure breed, Australorps would be an excellent breed to go with. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds (only sex links will outlay them among brown egg layers). Whatever you decide to do, good luck with your flock.

5. wwarren8200

Feb 2, 2014
    Florence,AL
    Thank you. And if I do go with purebreds it will come down to australorp or gold sex link :)

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Gold sex links are a hybrid, not a pure breed. They are a deliberate cross that results in chicks that can be sexed by down color. That trait is only valid for one generation, so breeding sex links will not result in sex linked chicks.

So if you would prefer to keep a pure breed then you might want to stick with Austrolorps.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on keesmon. Gold Sex Link is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by color from hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. The downside is that because they are hybrids, they will not breed true. If you want a pure breed, stick with the Australorps.

8. wwarren8200

Feb 2, 2014
    Florence,AL
    Yeah I knew they were a cross I just worded that wrong haha but yes I would probably go with australorps anyways thanks :)

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by