Should I see the ducks mating?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherFeather, Feb 25, 2014.

1. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    I am planning to start hatching some duck eggs soon and have split my ducks into breeding groups. I haven't seen any of the drakes mounting the hens though. This is my first time breeding ducks.

I have kept muscovies but never bred them- I saw the male mount the female, oh at least once an hour....every day....and with chickens.....they're at it all the time too.

Is it possible that they are just shy? These are khakis, runners and silver appleyard crosses.

Do they need swimming water for mating? In the fall I saw them mating in the creek, but haven't seen anything since. Its pretty cold for swimming water......

2. Chans Farm

Chans Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Battambang, Cambodia
    Maybe they will perform better, knowing they aren't being watched?

I would go away and come back in an hour or two and see if any of them are smoking cigarettes. [​IMG]

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

I recall, way back when I lived stateside, seeing the wild ones at a local lake. They didn't seem to have any issues doing the deed.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The pretty cold part can probably influence mating behavior.

Mine do like some warmish (50˚F) clean water. Seems to put them in the mood.

[​IMG]

And by the way, since it takes a bunch of energy to produce eggs, I am wondering if the ducks - since it is so cold - are conserving energy. Then I realize I don't know for sure if yours are laying or not.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by