Should I see the ducks mating?

HeatherFeather

Songster
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Severn Bridge, ON
I am planning to start hatching some duck eggs soon and have split my ducks into breeding groups. I haven't seen any of the drakes mounting the hens though. This is my first time breeding ducks.

I have kept muscovies but never bred them- I saw the male mount the female, oh at least once an hour....every day....and with chickens.....they're at it all the time too.

Is it possible that they are just shy? These are khakis, runners and silver appleyard crosses.

Do they need swimming water for mating? In the fall I saw them mating in the creek, but haven't seen anything since. Its pretty cold for swimming water......

Maybe they will perform better, knowing they aren't being watched?

I would go away and come back in an hour or two and see if any of them are smoking cigarettes.
lol.png

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

I recall, way back when I lived stateside, seeing the wild ones at a local lake. They didn't seem to have any issues doing the deed.

The pretty cold part can probably influence mating behavior.

Mine do like some warmish (50˚F) clean water. Seems to put them in the mood.

roll.png

And by the way, since it takes a bunch of energy to produce eggs, I am wondering if the ducks - since it is so cold - are conserving energy. Then I realize I don't know for sure if yours are laying or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom