Should I separate baby chickens and momma from rest of flock?

agold23

Songster
May 25, 2021
Hi all, I have a silkie hen on day 5/21 of hatching her 3 eggs (I don’t expect all 3 to hatch). She’s in the corner of our 8x8 shed converted into coop and the other 5 chickens are all free range with full run of the backyard and forest behind (not that they wander too deep). Our very vocal and adventurous Irish wolfhound mix keeps all the forest predators in check, we’ve never had any signs of predatory animals other than some raccoons at night. She is located right next to the feed holder so they see her whenever they go to eat some feed so I’m not worried about having to reintroduce her to the flock. I know it’s a little ways off but I was wondering what should the plan be for when they hatch. We have a dog crate we could use as a kind of brooder box to keep inside the house or in the coop to provide some protection against the flock. We also have a 8x12 fully fenced in chicken run connected to the coop which the chicks would be protected in. The broody silkie is second in command after the rooster, and the rooster treated her the best out of all of them so I’m sure she’ll keep rank and he will help protect her (the rest of the chickens are immature pullets and one immature cockerel).

What I’m trying to say is we have enough resources to keep them separate in the crate/run until they’re old enough to be integrated or just let all of them go free range on their first day, but I’m wondering what the best plan of action would be! Any advice/criticism/stories are welcome!

Hi all, I have a silkie hen on day 5/21 of hatching her 3 eggs (I don’t expect all 3 to hatch). She’s in the corner of our 8x8 shed converted into coop and the other 5 chickens are all free range with full run of the backyard and forest behind (not that they wander too deep). Our very vocal and adventurous Irish wolfhound mix keeps all the forest predators in check, we’ve never had any signs of predatory animals other than some raccoons at night. She is located right next to the feed holder so they see her whenever they go to eat some feed so I’m not worried about having to reintroduce her to the flock. I know it’s a little ways off but I was wondering what should the plan be for when they hatch. We have a dog crate we could use as a kind of brooder box to keep inside the house or in the coop to provide some protection against the flock. We also have a 8x12 fully fenced in chicken run connected to the coop which the chicks would be protected in. The broody silkie is second in command after the rooster, and the rooster treated her the best out of all of them so I’m sure she’ll keep rank and he will help protect her (the rest of the chickens are immature pullets and one immature cockerel).

What I’m trying to say is we have enough resources to keep them separate in the crate/run until they’re old enough to be integrated or just let all of them go free range on their first day, but I’m wondering what the best plan of action would be! Any advice/criticism/stories are welcome!
I never separate a broody from the flock. She remains in a semi-private area where any flock member can visit her during the incubation and she brings the chicks out when she is ready. I would leave her right were she is.
Did you mark her eggs so you know if another hen puts eggs in her nest when she's off for her broody breaks?
I would switch the flock over to a good chick starter now and put out a container of oyster shell so they are ready for the arrival of the chicks.
Broody hens protect their chicks. Most flock members are curious about the chicks but in a more natural living arrangement like you have, I think everything will go quite well.

I never separate a broody from the flock. She remains in a semi-private area where any flock member can visit her during the incubation and she brings the chicks out when she is ready. I would leave her right were she is.
Did you mark her eggs so you know if another hen puts eggs in her nest when she's off for her broody breaks?
I would switch the flock over to a good chick starter now and put out a container of oyster shell so they are ready for the arrival of the chicks.
Broody hens protect their chicks. Most flock members are curious about the chicks but in a more natural living arrangement like you have, I think everything will go quite well.
Just candled the eggs- only one is fertile 😅 I don’t have to worry about any other layers getting in as our 20 week old easter egger and lavender orpington hens haven’t started laying yet, but they’re going to soon! They’re already on chick mash as our youngest chickens are 15/16 weeks but they always have available crushed eggshells available which I’ve seen our only layer (now broody) eat. I just hope we’re doing everything we can to support her and her future baby! Thank you for your advice and I’m glad to hear we’re doing everything right so far!

Back
Top Bottom