should i separate nasty chicks? *Also, cute chick pics*

brahmamomma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 19, 2012
I have a easter egger named Olive that is constantly pecking at my one light brahma named Flower. Shes the wallflower. Also the one little buff, Lemon, seems to be joining in on Olives bad behavior. So my question is do i leave them alone to figure it out? Or do i separate the two bad girls for a couple days to see if that chills them out. They have not drawn blood or caused any major injuries, but i have also noticed them pecking at her feet. HELP ME!!!

anybody? this is my first time with chickens and ive heard they can become full on cannibalistic with other chicks. i hung a baby cake in the brooder and also placed a perch in togive them something to practice on. im trying to keep them busy so they dont peck on Flower.

I am new to this but I have heard that you can put a red heatlamp instead of the regular one and this can help with keeping them from pecking at eachother but I think you should keep them together unless she is being injured. they have to figure out their pecking order and this is how they do that.

I am new to this but I have heard that you can put a red heatlamp instead of the regular one and this can help with keeping them from pecking at eachother but I think you should keep them together unless she is being injured. they have to figure out their pecking order and this is how they do that.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! i will keep them together....it is hard to tell from the pics but i do have a red bulb in there. i also open the shade for natural light so maybe ill close it a bit....

As long as it isn't gang fighting, I would leave them be. They are establishing their own little pecking order, and once Flower realizes that Olive is higher rank than her, they will co-exist in harmony.

As long as it isn't gang fighting, I would leave them be. They are establishing their own little pecking order, and once Flower realizes that Olive is higher rank than her, they will co-exist in harmony.

I would say the same. There's always a pecking order. Sometimes you just gotta let it be, that's the way life goes
hmm.png

you guys are so right!!! i was just hoping they could all be peaceful and live in harmony. maybe ill play some bob marley in their room and see if it mellows them out!!!
smile.png

you guys are so right!!! i was just hoping they could all be peaceful and live in harmony. maybe ill play some bob marley in their room and see if it mellows them out!!! :)

Ahahaha - Good idea! Make them a mix tape. I do it for the older chickens. My friend heard that chickens lay better when listening to blue grass, so my girls get to have that blasted throughout the day :gig - I can barely stand listening to it though. I put some hip hop on instead, and they lay just the same ;)

I do think they like music, but what do I know? :p

Back
Top Bottom