1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

should i show him? (pic)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BellLisamo, Apr 2, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    there is a show in 2 weeks. anyone can enter, even novice.

should i enter this guy???

buff orpington
    [​IMG]

what do i need to look him over for?

p.s. i changed the rooster...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
  2. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    oops.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
  3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Just clean him up really good. Check him for mites and split-wing. Do you know how much he weighs?

4. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i could swear that hes around 18+ pounds. i picked him up the other day and he felt like i was carrying my 23 pound son around

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    It depends on if the show is APA sanctioned? If it is, then nope, don't even bother. But if it's NOT...then you have just as good a chance as any!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Even if it's a sanctioned show (which I would hope it is), the amount of competition will depend on the number of other entries for the breed, and their quality. In general, I see more bantams than large fowl at shows, and some shows seem to have more of one breed than at a different show.

Even at a tiny show it could be just your luck that the best breeder in the country for your chosen breed happens to live 5 miles down the road. Mixed blessing, you will probably place lower, but may come away having gained vast amounts of knowledge about your breed. Conversely, at a very large show, perhaps the most common entries are different breeds than yours and those with your breed are no more experienced than you.

Enter him and hove lots of fun & learn lots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by