Should I stock pile eggs?

I'd start stockpiling now. I had been stockpiling since October but it wasn't enough... had to buy eggs from the store today for the first time this year.

The easiest way around this storage is staggered hatches and 4 hours of extended lighting in the fall and winter.

Figure out how long it takes your breed to start laying and add 4 weeks and count backwards from the beginning of September. The pullets will complete their juvenile molts and will be wanting to lay like gang busters in fall and going through winter and with 4 hours of extended lighting you'll have eggs all winter.

When they start laying in the fall I start another batch to grow out through the winter and they will get down to business when the older ones start going into molt in spring.

Having fresh eggs in the winter is only a matter of timing .

I have yet to buy eggs since May although someone does cause she hates having to contend with peeling super fresh hard boiled eggs.

The easiest way around this storage is staggered hatches and 4 hours of extended lighting in the fall and winter.

Figure out how long it takes your breed to start laying and add 4 weeks and count backwards from the beginning of September. The pullets will complete their juvenile molts and will be wanting to lay like gang busters in fall and going through winter and with 4 hours of extended lighting you'll have eggs all winter.

Very interesting! I wonder if the staggered clutches approach would still work without the supplemental lighting? It would be difficult to get electricity to our layer coop.

I have yet to buy eggs since May although someone does cause she hates having to contend with peeling super fresh hard boiled eggs.

There's an easy fix to that. Just mark some fresh eggs with a note that says Save for Hardboiling and the date and then when a few weeks to a month rolls around, the eggs are old enough that they should peel easier. That's what I do for my husband because hardboiled duck eggs are his favorite and it's not like you can just go to most stores and buy duck eggs. Plus he's turned quite snobby about only wanting our eggs. :rolleyes:

Very interesting! I wonder if the staggered clutches approach would still work without the supplemental lighting? It would be difficult to get electricity to our layer coop.

There's an easy fix to that. Just mark some fresh eggs with a note that says Save for Hardboiling and the date and then when a few weeks to a month rolls around, the eggs are old enough that they should peel easier. That's what I do for my husband because hardboiled duck eggs are his favorite and it's not like you can just go to most stores and buy duck eggs. Plus he's turned quite snobby about only wanting our eggs. :rolleyes:

No problem, use solar lighting. Find the brightest set, put them in the co-op and set the charger in a NE direction so it will come on sooner. It will turn off automatically and recharge for you the next day. Doesn't take all that much light and the landscape spotlight leds are much brighter than the walkway ones.

No problem, use solar lighting. Find the brightest set, put them in the co-op and set the charger in a NE direction so it will come on sooner. It will turn off automatically and recharge for you the next day. Doesn't take all that much light and the landscape spotlight leds are much brighter than the walkway ones.
Solar lighting without a good battery and a timer will be inconsistent,
and more likely to cause problems than good winter egg production,
especially in cloudier regions.
But I do agree with multi-age flocks, I have fresh pullets every year and use lights.
I still eat, and sell, more eggs in spring and summer than in winter, one can accept that eggs are a seasonal food.

Actually, money is a problem. ;-) We currently have two mortgages, so until we sell our old house, solar has to wait.

ChickenCanoe has good suggestions. Personally, I just stick them in a basket and leave them on a shelf in the cellar, unwashed. They keep just fine for a month or two, never tried longer than that. If I am going to sell eggs they get washed immediately and put in the fridge.

(I'm not that experienced, but as a fellow Ontarian I thought I'd chime in with my thoughts ;)Also, sorry if this all seems obvious, just wanted to explain my points.:oops:)

Hey @Chichi_08 , as per your original question, as with almost everything it seems, the answer is "it depends". :idunno

I know it being your first year it's tough to make a call and try to guess what your winter will be like, but you may just have to build some experience and make adjustments each year as you need :).

Some points:
Winter laying is very breed dependent. Your chickens may or may not stop laying. Some stop, some slow down, and some like my white leghorns last winter just keep chugging through.

Next year though, as they age you're less likely to get eggs in the winter (I think this point was made already :) )

Your location will make a difference, while daylight is the main factor in reduced laying, the cold will have an effect as well. Being north means you get lost of short days and lots of cold days. Be sure to watch out for BYC advice from people who don't have any experience with those conditions and may not realize what a difference it can make.

And of course your own personal consumption will determine how many you need to put aside.

Anyway, good luck! To be honest I'm in the same situation, but I'm just going to let things happen organically. I'll keep a dozen on the counter and move the extras into the fridge. My birds are young and several are 'known' for being decent winter layers, so I hope to still be getting a few eggs during our snowy season :).

Back
Top Bottom