Should I take some of her eggs away? (Broody Muscovie)

if they are on the same day of incubation that would be very smart... just watch the surrogent hen on hatching day to make sure she doesnt try to kill the ones that arent hers... but that isnt very likely

take some away but only put some in the other nest if they are going to hatch about the same time because if some will hatch and the hen will leave the nest to soon

I wish I would have known this two days ago..lol

She has went on FULL BROODY! She won't let me anywhere near her 20 eggs.

I think she can handle them, she is covering them all and they will act as warmers for each other
tongue.png

Lots of baby duckies in about 33 days
smile.png

just get some thick leather gove and a partner with a broom and pull her off and lock her in a crate and take some of the eggs.. 20 is too much for one hen and even though she is covering them all they wont all recieve the same amount of heat and the hatch will be poor... dont be afraid of a broody duck, i know they can be intimidating but ur stronger

I remember years ago Dad telling me to come check out his latest hatch. His Muscovy hen had sat on a large amount of eggs. He never counted them because he just never bothers a setting hen unless he wants to totally break up the nest. Well, this proud Mama hen of his had 21 little yellow ducklings running after her. So cute! He is so excited that one of his new hens is setting. I have no clue how many and won't until they hatch.

Just wanted to add that our average is usually around 15 ducklings for a hatch around here. Has been a couple of years. Now we have a new flock so it should be that again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom