Should I take the babies away when they hatch?

Smartie_Pants

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Madisonville, KY
I have a VERY young silkie who went broody and she kept stealing eggs to set on, so I gave her three eggs. I want to be able to handle the chicks a lot and talk to them and stuff so they will be friendly. I had already planned to seperate the mama and babies anyway, but should I just take the babies and raise them myself? I want friendly, healthy chicks. I don't know how good of a mother she will be or anything else.

Opinions? Tips?

I have heard silkies make excellent broody hens and she should be just fine with the babies. IMO i think it is easier to keep the mama in with them because she makes sure they stay warm and shows them how to eat ect.... Also it saves a bit of money on the heat lamp you would need without her. I had a pullet go broody at a very young age this year too and she did fine with 11 serama babies. She threw in the towel when the babies were 4 weeks old. I then took over and the babies turned out to be quite tame
big_smile.png
Good luck with those lil fuzzy butts.

Let her raise them, she can/will do a much better job teaching them what they need to know than you can. Plus she sat on them for 21 days she should be able to raise them. You can still hold and play with them, you will just have to do it in the coop or where you hen is. As far as them being healthy, I feel a chick raised in the coop with mama and others is more healthy than a chick we keep inside, just think you dont have to worry when you want to add them to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom