Should I take the hatched chick from the broody hen? Staggered hatch

Pics
Final update:

The chicks are doing really well, growing so fast, full of energy, and just being cool chicks. Mama hen is an amazing mama, attentive, protective, and gracious. Every day she takes them out for long walks around the garden, finding food, and giving it to the chicks showing them how to forage and bathe etc. Occasionally she'll happen upon her favorite treats hidden in the grass and it's so nice to see her not gobble them up but to break the treats into smaller pieces and offer them to her little ones. Watching them devour an entire banana was the funniest to watch as they clambered over each other and the banana to get the little bits out of mamas beak, but completely ignored the banana itself 😂

For me and our household, watching this all is genuinely a first. My wife, who had real issues handling any animal, even cute ones, is now actively involved in caring for and managing the clutch of 11 wonderful little furballs and their mama hen.

And sadly, that number is where it will remain. The last egg was chirping away yesterday as it had pipped internally, and we were all looking forward to it hatching, however, 18 hours passed and I got worried it hadn't pipped externally. I candled the egg, located a safe spot to make an entry, and peeled back the eggshell piece by piece to find the little one had already passed. I'm confused as to what went wrong. The yolk was absorbed, navel closed as it should be. Nevertheless, it's the end of this chapter, and a new one begins.

Thank you all for your advice and support. Hopefully, there is plenty of info here for anyone ending up in the same predicament.

Watch the above video, it shows all of the chicks with their mama hen. The kids have been showing the videos to their class and the teachers have asked for regular updates, so the youtube channel has inadvertently become a chicken channel. Will continue posting videos of them there.

So glad that everything turned out well, & that your entire family is enjoying their new chicken family! Ive often said that watching a mama hen with her chicks is the best kind of chicken tv. And now you know firsthand what i mean! You are right that this thread contains good info for future first-timers with broodys. You had some minor mishaps and "oops" along the way, but handled it all beautifully.

Re that last chick failing to make it out of the egg, there is often no way to know what happened. "The most common answer is "Sometimes they just dont make it." But will say this. The last chick would have been over a week younger than the first hatched chicks. And several days younger than the incubator-hatched chicks. You have surely seen how quickly chicks gain energy and mobility after their first 24 hours out of their egg. On cold spring mornings in the past, some of my broodys lost late-hatching chicks when the late hatcher couldnt keep up with mama and siblings. In these cases the eggs were all set at the same time, but a late chick still hatched 2-3 days later than the others. The above issue is one of many reasons why Known staggered hatchings should be avoided when possible.

Your broody truly is a sweet and special girl. Some broodies wouldnt have accepted the late incubator-hatched chicks. You have every right to be proud!

Thank you so much for your kind words. She's a dedicated mama and the chicks are adorable. It's midnight here and just watching them sleep. They are spilling out from all sides from under her 😊

The older chickens we have are all hatched here or been with us since they were a day or two old so seeing the chicks do their thing is not new...however the mama hen part is totally new. Usually, I watch our rooster do this where he gets food off me then either holds it in his beak or drops it on the floor whilst calling the hens to let them know he has gifts for them. This, however, is something else...the adult hens and rooster fight for the treats, but mama hen has changed...she doesn't care about herself. It's nice to watch but I'm also getting concerned about her as her crop is almost always empty even though she has so much food around her.

You are spot on with regards to the weaker chicks due to delayed hatching and generally those that are smaller trying to keep up. Have kept a keen eye on those 'stragglers to make sure they are being fed and getting the water and nutrition they need. First day or two they were far behind, but now they're caught up, very much part of the pack. They might get an extra treat or two compared to the others, but that's just our secret ☺️

Yes the way that hen behavior changes when making food sacrifices for their chicks struck me as amazing too when i first saw it. She instantly goes from trying to steal food from other hens whenever possible & the attitude that every goodie she finds is "Mine Mine Mine" to "Here you go kids. Eat this. It tastes great!"

Wait til you see what she does if she feels anything threatens her chicks. She will instantly change from sweet gentle doting mama to a combination grizzly bear/tiger/puffed up turkey, charging with all her might at the perceived offender. I have seen a video of a broody backing off a fox, with her chicks huddled behind her.

It is part of her mothering instinct to put her chick's hunger/welfare before her own. Once she is satisfied they know how to find food for themselves, she will relax and begin to eat her fill herself.

I am glad your "final update" post earlier was soon followed by the video of mom and chicks sleeping. Same as your kid's teachers and classmates, I have enjoyed the photos and videos you have posted, & no doubt others do/will too. So if u want to, keep them coming!

Hi @Allsfairinloveandbugs chicks are amazing. They have grown up super fast and are thriving with their parents. Ended up with 4 roosters and the rest hens. Decided to keep two brown (pure brahmas), two black and two ginger hens. The two white chicks from hatching are the ginger ones now. The roosters and one hen were rehomed nearby.

I merged them in with the older hens and the rooster at around 3 months old. Bit of squabbling but all settled quickly. I have these pics from the beginning of September when they were on free roam. Will take some fresh ones when I get a chance.

Love how they always stick together, especially in pairs. by the way, the black one who clearly loves to pose, was the first one to hatch.

Attachments

• 20210909_135402.jpg
    20210909_135402.jpg
    682.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210909_135409.jpg
    20210909_135409.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210909_135422.jpg
    20210909_135422.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210909_135532.jpg
    20210909_135532.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210909_135754.jpg
    20210909_135754.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210909_155240.jpg
    20210909_155240.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210909_155305.jpg
    20210909_155305.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
They are all beautiful young ladies now. :love
And the black polish cross is so cute!
Agree 100%
The polish is a full sized brahma with the polish charm and personality 😘

From the chicks, the white one with a black mark on his head turned out to be a rooster identical to this black one but white with black wingtips and a line of black on the back of his head. Looked super cute and cool but sadly had to let him go. 😞

Back
Top Bottom