Should I try some electrolytes?

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
I just got six new chicks yesterday.3 Rhode Island reds,and 3 Production reds.

They have everything they need.Feed (Medicated),with some chopped up garlic squeeze on it.I've tried introducing tomatoes and rice but they weren't too interested.

Now,here's the question.All the other chicks move around,scratch (well they try),and their just so active.The one Rhode Island red is just more laid back,and i'm not sure if he needs some sugar water or Electrolytes to boost up things or what.They have clean water with probiotics in it.Any ideas?

Unless you notice diarrhea (distinguish from cecal poops), I would hold off on the electrolytes. Make sure she is eating/drinking. You can offer mashed hard-boiled egg yolk as a good supplement if she doesn't seem interested in the crumbles. You can even add water to the yolk and give her a few drops by syringe if needed.

If you are feeding things other than chick starter or the egg yolk, they will need to have chick-sized grit available as well.

Curiius, what would electrolyted do that would be harmful?

You're basically giving salt water. Extra salt is normally excreted by the kidneys, but it takes water with it. So, if they don't need the extra electrolytes and don't have access to plain water, they can dehydrate.

Also in a chick, those kidneys aren't developed fully and may not be able to get rid of all the excess salt through the urine. Some of it can then be excreted in the feces, but it also drags water with it, so you have diarrhea as a result.

The big reason to give supplemental electrolytes is if you have reason to suspect that the chick has become deficient in them through some sort of loss. Since chicks don't sweat (which is why athletes take salt tablets or drink gatorade after an event), usually this means loss through diarrhea, regurgitation/vomiting, or maybe urine if there is something wrong with the kidneys. A lot of times stressed chicks are offered electrolyte water when you first get them, which is fine, but you should switch to plain water or probiotic water in a day or so.

If the OP notices a loose stool in the affected chick, electrolytes would totally be appropriate. If not, then I think that supplementing energy and vitamins/minerals would be better (and both easily accomplished via egg yolk if chick is eating).

Back
Top Bottom