Should I use a heater in my coop?

Crax

Chirping
Oct 4, 2020
Texas
We are thinking of switching out the heat lamp for a heater so is there anything I should look out for or any specific types not to buy? And does the heater warm the whole coop or does it only warm them when they’re close to it? It’s just getting very very cold over here so that’s why we were thinking of switching things out even though the lamp does seem to do a good job, we were just wondering if heaters were better

We are thinking of switching out the heat lamp for a heater so is there anything I should look out for or any specific types not to buy? And does the heater warm the whole coop or does it only warm them when they’re close to it? It’s just getting very very cold over here so that’s why we were thinking of switching things out even though the lamp does seem to do a good job, we were just wondering if heaters were better
Where are you located?
Unless you experience very bitter weather for extended periods of time, heat and insulation are not required for the birds to remain healthy. They need dry, well ventilated coops so they can keep themselves warm.

There is absolutely no need for heat in the coop - even if you live in Alaska. Chickens are animals and survived for years before humans started building them coops; they used to roost up in the trees. Chickens have a layer of down under their feathers. All you have to do is keep them high and dry - in a well ventilated coop. The ventilation (up higher than the chickens roost) will help circulate the wet air from their breath out of the coop and prevent it from settling on their combs and causing frostbite. Offer a little more ration of corn in the winter; the digestion of the heavy carb helps to generate heat.
Heat in the coop is not only dangerous, but it messes with the birds own ability to heat itself. You want them to tough it out the way nature intended.

There is absolutely no need for heat in the coop - even if you live in Alaska. Chickens are animals and survived for years before humans started building them coops; they used to roost up in the trees. Chickens have a layer of down under their feathers. All you have to do is keep them high and dry - in a well ventilated coop. The ventilation (up higher than the chickens roost) will help circulate the wet air from their breath out of the coop and prevent it from settling on their combs and causing frostbite. Offer a little more ration of corn in the winter; the digestion of the heavy carb helps to generate heat.
Heat in the coop is not only dangerous, but it messes with the birds own ability to heat itself. You want them to tough it out the way nature intended.
Ok! Thank you for the information

Where are you located?
Unless you experience very bitter weather for extended periods of time, heat and insulation are not required for the birds to remain healthy. They need dry, well ventilated coops so they can keep themselves warm.
I’m in texas and right now it’s pretty cold here!

Only if you have chicks you need extra warmth the first winter. Most chicken breeds can have a lot of cold if they got accustomed to it.

p.s. how cold does it get in Texas in winter?

Only if you have chicks you need extra warmth the first winter. Most chicken breeds can have a lot of cold if they got accustomed to it.
We do have silkies and I heard they’re good in cold, my only big concern for asking about the heater is we got some serama yesterday and I’m fully aware they’re not good in cold

Oh my, no! Texas doesn't get pretty cold!
I'm in NY. We do sometimes get pretty cold. Lowest temperature experienced by my flock was -23F. No heat. They did just fine.
Ok! Well guess it’s just us people here that think it’s cold then! We aren’t used to this place we just moved

Back
Top Bottom