Should I use stool softener at this point??

FeatherWeather

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2022
Sacramento County, CA
I have been treating my girl Feather for 3 days now. She has had a ton of water coming out with only a little bit of poop pieces. Her crop was hard so I've been doing coconut oil massage. Her crop became squishy and her water poop was so sour smelling that I started treating her for sour crop with Monistat (It's been 2 days). She drinks a ton of water and with the amount of water with the poop pieces I'm afraid that there's a blockage somewhere. She is eating and I've been giving her some wet crumbles and some hard boiled egg. There was a piece of hay in with the poop this morning and she hasn't been around hay for 3 days. This also makes me think there might be a blockage. Should I try the stool softener?? I'm not sure if this is right because her crop is empty and if there is a blockage it has to be somewhere else.

(So basically she drinks a ton of water and a ton of water comes out)

How about Molasses? I read that you recommended that for an obstruction. I'm just worried about the stool softener making her more dehydrated (I just read about that on here).
Should I still do coconut oil with either the molasses or stool softener?
BTW...thanks so much for your help.

First try more oil and massage. She may be just one more dose away from things clearing. An hour after that, try the stool softener. Give it an hour and do more massage. If that doesn't improve anything, then do a molasses flush with one teaspoon molasses in a fourth cup of warm water. Give the flush over night to work.

Full crop impaction is quite rare and in those cases surgery is usually needed.
All the crop disorders down from full impaction usually respond well to liquids and massage. I've given 30cl of water during each massage session, usually every 3 or 4 hours.

Even sour crop can be gently massaged to encouraged emptying of the crop. The hen usually enjoys it, and the crop emptying can stimulate a poor appetite. The only caution is not to be too vigorous massaging a full sour crop or it can back up the esophagus in the throat.

The coconut oil didn't work so I gave her the stool softener. I did check her vent while I was out there and it does look a little swollen and pale. Maybe from the diarrhea? When I first noticed the diarrhea I did check her to see if she was egg bound. I used the lubed finger in the vent method and I didn't feel an egg.
So far, I've treated her for pretty much everything that may be causing the diarrhea/sour crop. Corridosis, worms, crop impaction...
I guess I'll see if the stool softener works. If not, should I maybe give her a calcium/d pill just in case she's egg bound?

Back
Top Bottom