Should I use Tylan 50 for bantam chick leg injury? Orally?

Meara

Songster
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
Midwest
I have an ~ 10 week old bantam chick who injured her leg at the joint. I have no idea how she managed this, but it looks like she got the leg stuck and mangled it at the joint trying to get loose. The joint is now swollen and hot to the touch. So far all I have done is isolate her (brought her in the house), given her some of a vitamin and electrolyte solution (by Durvet) and covered the wound in triple antibiotic.

I have not yet cleaned the wound (suggestions on what to use???).

Should I start her on an antibiotic? I have Tylan 50 on hand. If so can I use it orally? Dosage? I'm worried about trying to do an injection as she is so small and I have never done it before.

She is a fantastic chick, my very favorite of this year's efforts, and I don't want to lose her! Thank you in advance for your help everyone!

Hi @Meara

I'm sorry to hear about your chick - can you post some photos of the leg and joint (chick too - would love to see her:)).

Is the wound at the hock? Without seeing it - is it oozing, bleeding, etc.?

General care would be to flush/cleanse the wound with saline, sterile water or diluted betadine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn.
If it looks infected, then you can try injectable Tylan50 to see if that will help. It can be given orally (or by injection).

You will need to weigh her so you give the correct amount. Dosage is 1cc or ml per 5lbs of weight, given 2X a day for 5days.

21105583_10203505935565786_6827881455609226376_n.jpg 21192135_10203505935325780_4349325429314479414_n.jpg 21191855_10203505935765791_2417557406175454622_n.jpg Thanks Wyorp Rock! Emilia is doing fine so far. She is eating and drinking and seems to be in good spirits, but will not stand on the injured leg yet. I've cleaned the wounds with a betadine solution and liberally applied triple antibiotic ointment. I don't see any signs so far that she has an infection so I haven't administered Tylan yet. Should I give it to her as a "just in case"?

There are two wounds and they are nasty looking. One is up on the thigh and the other completely encircles the hock joint. I've included some pictures.

Oh my, she did injure herself badly.

It looks like you are taking good care of the wounds. It's up to you whether or not to administer antibiotics, but if she were mine, looking at the severity of the wounds, I would most likely give them to her just to help fight any infection. It looks like there is exposed muscle tissue(?)

I'm glad to hear that she is eating and drinking well. You may want to add poultry vitamins to her water every few days to help give her a boost.

I hope as the legs heal, that she regains mobility. Thanks for the photos and update.

I just wanted to follow-up and let everyone know that little Emilia did eventually heal :celebrate and was successfully reintegrated into the flock. She has a scar on her leg from her ordeal and is smaller in size than her cohort but otherwise faring well. I'm really glad I used the Tylan on her as with such a deep wound it probably saved her life. She noticeably perked up after receiving it. Thanks for your help BYC!

Back
Top Bottom