Should I vaccinate my chicks for Marek's?

HeavensHens88

Remembering the Forgotten
6 Years
May 17, 2015
Almost Home
My Coop
My Coop
Hi All-
I am going to be hatching bantams, whom are from my own bloodline, in two weeks and was wondering if I should vaccinate for Marek's?
I keep about twenty pet chickens; they do not have contact with wild birds, neighbors' poultry,etc. I try to keep a natural/healthy/organic hobby going, and do not vaccinate any of my other animals except for the necessaries, like rabies. All of my other chickens are from hatcheries and ARE vaccinated for Marek's.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

Hi All-
I am going to be hatching bantams, whom are from my own bloodline, in two weeks and was wondering if I should vaccinate for Marek's?
I keep about twenty pet chickens; they do not have contact with wild birds, neighbors' poultry,etc. I try to keep a natural/healthy/organic hobby going, and do not vaccinate any of my other animals except for the necessaries, like rabies. All of my other chickens are from hatcheries and ARE vaccinated for Marek's.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

As a rule Mareks vaccine is only given at the hatchery and it involves spraying the newly hatched chicks with a fine mist of water mixed with one or more of the 7 or 8 strains of Mareks Viruses that are most common in your area. While it can be done it is a daunting task for the casual backyard chicken keeper.

Last edited:
OK, I was hoping I didn't have to vaccinate! Thank you so much and I can tell you are very knowledgeable!
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
I will defiantly refer to you if I have any questions in the future!
Thank you again for your input!

Back
Top Bottom