Should I warn neighbor that dog might get shot?

In my opinion, I would shoot in the air to maybe scare it off. Talk to the owners….if you can ever figure out who they are or where they live or if you can’t call the cops. But after that, I feel like the owners had fair warning. You have to protect your animals. It isn’t a matter of who’s live is more valuable than others animals. Not only that, but I don’t see a chicken killing a dog…

As a dog owner myself, and just recently having my own dog come after my chickens…that’s a long story. I had to have a heart to heart with my kids cause my 9yr old was supposed to get the dogs water and we had the chicks outside in their run. Well instead of my 9 yr old getting it she told her 5 yr old sister to get it and she left their gate open. I had to take a BBgun and pop her in the ass for her to stop. She is a Husky and very bull headed. My Rottweiler just went inside thank all the heavens…but she hasn’t shown much interest. When we let her out now she automatically runs to the run. Luckily they aren’t outside yet. But we are taking measures and even before this we have plans of putting hot wire fence up. One pop and she won’t want anything to do with it…she’s kind of a baby. But as an owner I have to take care of both of them. And the least likely to live would be the chickens…kind of defenseless.

Last edited:
In my opinion, I would shot in the air to maybe scare it off. Talk to the owners….if you can ever figure out who they are or where they live or if you can’t call the cops. But after that, I feel like the owners had fair warning. You have to protect your animals. It isn’t a matter of who’s live is more valuable than others animals. Not only that, but I don’t see a chicken killing a dog…

As a dog owner myself, and just recently having my own dog come after my chickens…that’s a long story. I had to have a heart to heart with my kids cause my 9yr old was supposed to get the dogs water and we had the chicks outside in their run. Well instead of my 9 yr old getting it she told her 5 yr old sister to get it and she left their gate open. I had to take a BBgun and pop her in the ass for her to stop. She is a Husky and very bull headed. My Rottweiler just went inside thank all the heavens…but she hasn’t shown much interest. When we let her out now she automatically runs to the run. Luckily they aren’t outside yet. But we are taking measures and even before this we have plans of putting hot wire fence up. One pop and she won’t want anything to do with it…she’s kind of a baby. But as an owner I have to take care of both of them. And the least likely to live would be the chickens…kind of defenseless.
I wouldn’t want the dog to get hurt either because I also have a dog. He has tried to chase the chickens before too but now I have put up stuff that will hopefully prevent it. I know things can happen without us knowing. I was mainly sad when I yelled it out to them and hoping they would stop and say sorry for what happened. Not the best way to go about it. Thanks for the reply

I wouldn’t want the dog to get hurt either because I also have a dog. He has tried to chase the chickens before too but now I have put up stuff that will hopefully prevent it. I know things can happen without us knowing. I was mainly sad when I yelled it out to them and hoping they would stop and say sorry for what happened. Not the best way to go about it. Thanks for the reply
I think yelling it out…they may honestly be scared for their dog and do something different. I meant to put that in my reply and forgot. I know I would. I understand not wanting to hurt the dog. Maybe get a BBgun for something like this. My dog was dead set and no matter how much I yelled she wasn’t listing. She was on a mission. You do what you need to but no I don’t think you were wrong for yelling it and no, I don’t think you should feel bad. Some ppl may not care where others will care enough to do something different. Cause dogs do get out. I do know. I had to buy a heavy chain cause my Rottweiler kept breaking the ones we had her on and then had to put her on a tree cause she would dig everything else up. Now that we are in the country we just put a pin up for them and unless the door is left open they stay in there

Unfortunately some dog owners can be complete jerks . Few are ever apologetic about their dogs killing anyone's chickens. My advise is don't open your door to any strangers if you threatened to kill their dog . It might kill somebody else's chickens and go missing.

Oh my goodness. I could never shoot a dog over chickens. How.about a tranquilizer gun or bait it and capture then turn it over to animal control. Killing th dog seems extreme
it is really sad. Its the neighbours fault not the dogs. But if it is a choice between one dog or a flock of chickens? I would choose the chickens. I'd not want to hurt any animal, but I would prevent the suffering of the birds getting killed.
If the dog can be stopped and turned over to animal control, if the owner of the chickens could get the law involved, I think thats the far better option. The chickens deserve peace and quiet, and the dog deserves an owner that will actually look after it and keep control.

I think yelling it out…they may honestly be scared for their dog and do something different. I meant to put that in my reply and forgot. I know I would. I understand not wanting to hurt the dog. Maybe get a BBgun for something like this. My dog was dead set and no matter how much I yelled she wasn’t listing. She was on a mission. You do what you need to but no I don’t think you were wrong for yelling it and no, I don’t think you should feel bad. Some ppl may not care where others will care enough to do something different. Cause dogs do get out. I do know. I had to buy a heavy chain cause my Rottweiler kept breaking the ones we had her on and then had to put her on a tree cause she would dig everything else up. Now that we are in the country we just put a pin up for them and unless the door is left open they stay in there
A bb gun is a bad idea. Thats just going to hurt the animal and endanger their life. Shooting to kill seems far more humane. Of course the best case scenario is the dog getting turned over to authorities and finding a repsonsible owner. But that isn't always possible.

A bb gun is a bad idea. Thats just going to hurt the animal and endanger their life. Shooting to kill seems far more humane. Of course the best case scenario is the dog getting turned over to authorities and finding a repsonsible owner. But that isn't always possible.
Agreed, the pound is best, if the owners don't care to control it then they can slowly realize it's gone and go looking for it. If they want it back they will have to spend that money and if they don't someone responsible will get it. I would definitely not hurt or kill the dog

Back
Top Bottom