Should I warn neighbor that dog might get shot?

Oh my goodness. I could never shoot a dog over chickens. How.about a tranquilizer gun or bait it and capture then turn it over to animal control. Killing th dog seems extreme
Animal control will kill it if it has killed other animals soooo...

I've thought of getting a paintball gun, that way if I have to call animal controll about a loose dog I can mark it so they know it is the right dog. I live in BFE and loose dogs have been an increasing problem in my neighborhood lately. My property is fully fenced but not completely dog proof fenced.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority here, but causing a dog extreme pain is an extremely old fashioned and not so good way to teach a dog anything. I would probably be more angry if my dog were shot and in bad pain for hours until found and treated, than if it were shot lethally and killed fast. I dont know if anyone will agree with me on that, but that's how I'd feel. Depending where the dog is shot, even a BB gun can cause fatal complications and end up causing a slow death if not treated quickly.
Maybe on here, but off the internet a majority of people would probably agree. The average American places far more value on the life of a dog than a flock of chickens. The strict animal abuse laws passed under the Trump administration is one of the few things he ever got bi-partisan support on. I don't think a lot of people on here fully realize how much trouble you can get in on a federal level for injuring a dog that isn't posing an active threat, including severe fines and even prison time. Violence towards animals is one of the best behavioral predictors there is of violence towards humans, so they take that kind of thing very seriously now.

Shoot or injure the wrong dog and you could get in a world of trouble with a neighbor that knows the law or has sway with local government/law enforcement. Even if we aren't factoring in ethics, I can't see how shooting a dog would possibly be worth taking that risk.

We don't have much of a problem here because my dogs repel most predators, including other dogs. But I was thinking, for those who can't or don't want to shoot or trap, maybe one of these might scare off dogs, cats, hawks etc.

1658582213384.png

Of course you'd have to be there at the time of the intrusion in order to use it. Truly, good fencing, coop and run is the best all round, all the time protection. Yeah, it's gonna cost you, but it's well worth it for the peace of mind. If a dog can easily get to your chickens, then so can a fox, raccoon or any other predator.

Two dogs came into my yard today and chased my chickens and killed one of my roosters. I kept them away with my next door neighbor with a stick and shovel. I wasn’t upset at first, but they came back and tried to get more. I think they belonged to two different neighbors because they kept driving by and one time I heard one car saying I don’t know whose brown dog that is. Then the other car kept circling the block. When the dogs came back one had bubbles all over its chin so my husband got the gun. The dogs ran away but when the neighbors drove by again I yelled, “if your dogs keep killing chickens they’re going to get shot”. I don’t want to shoot any dogs but my husband said I probably shouldn’t have told them that. I’m from a middle of nowhere small town where no one gave a warning. If there was a dog getting the chickens, it would just be a sad day for the dog. What advice or opinion do you have? I am a fairly new chicken owner.
I would hate to hear of dogs shot acting as dogs. Do you have a local animal control you can call? Is it possible to go to the neighbors directly and have a conversation with them? Work out a plan for them to keep their dogs under control when your chickens are out? Just some thoughts.

Maybe on here, but off the internet a majority of people would probably agree. The average American places far more value on the life of a dog than a flock of chickens. The strict animal abuse laws passed under the Trump administration is one of the few things he ever got bi-partisan support on. I don't think a lot of people on here fully realize how much trouble you can get in on a federal level for injuring a dog that isn't posing an active threat, including severe fines and even prison time. Violence towards animals is one of the best behavioral predictors there is of violence towards humans, so they take that kind of thing very seriously now.

Shoot or injure the wrong dog and you could get in a world of trouble with a neighbor that knows the law or has sway with local government/law enforcement. Even if we aren't factoring in ethics, I can't see how shooting a dog would possibly be worth taking that risk.

I would shoot a dog if it was necessary, but I find most pet dogs are easy enough to catch and restrain. Something to keep in mind, it's very difficult to get a good kill shot on something that is running around. Miss and injure the dog and you might find yourself liable for all the vet bills as well, which these days could easily be thousands of dollars.

We don't have much of a problem here because my dogs repel most predators, including other dogs. But I was thinking, for those who can't or don't want to shoot or trap, maybe one of these might scare off dogs, cats, hawks etc.

View attachment 3196720

Of course you'd have to be there at the time of the intrusion in order to use it. Truly, good fencing, coop and run is the best all round, all the time protection. Yeah, it's gonna cost you, but it's well worth it for the peace of mind. If a dog can easily get to your chickens, then so can a fox, raccoon or any other predator.

Yes those things are sooo loud! I told my DH I should use one on some of those scam phone calls we get. LOL

Pepper spray or bear spray would be a another non-lethal way to deter a dog.

Lose dogs can be devastating to livestock. I may not shoot a dog over a single chicken. Where I live people are generally pretty ok about keeping their dogs under control. I think its because they know the area is a SSS location. I would however 100% without doubt shoot any dog attacking my sheep or lambs. In our area the law states you may shoot any dog that is actively attacking livestock and you may also shoot any dog on your land that has previously attacked livestock. Very few people where I live have pet type outdoor dogs. One guy a 1/2 mile away or so has some coon dogs. Most every one else has livestock type dogs and they are pretty busy doing their thing.

In the area I live in ( rural Arkansas) if a dog is killing any livestock or fowl not only will the owner shoot it, if he misses the neighbors will probably help him out as the dog crosses their land. Check local ordinances and the police. If they have come twice and been successful, they will be back. I don’t let mine free range because of dogs, fox, coyote, and other wildlife. We have a large tractor that moves weekly.

I wouldn't shoot someone's pet, after all, it's the owner that needs to secure the dog and it's not the dogs fault for behaving how most dogs behave around chickens. I'd call the sheriff for loose dogs and killed livestock, and charge the owner for the loses. Not knowing how your set up is, or if it a fence in or fence out county, it's impossible to say how to handle your security.
Owners who care about their "pets" do not let them run the neighborhood.

Quotations indicate they are not true pets.

Back
Top Bottom