Should I warn neighbor that dog might get shot?

Pics
Ok, you caught me on that one. But I'm wondering if @Poultrybonkers actually meant ones actively killing livestock.
it sure sounds like they're saying one which is passing through, but perhaps they could clarify what they meant.
I do agree that a dog which is actively attacking, may need dealing with more harshly. It is sad, but sometimes necessary. I would personally try my best to stop the dog by other means, but if it were not possible- saving the remaining animals from further stress and pain, is best.

🤔 That makes me think, what if the offender was a police dog ...normally it's a felony to harm a K-9 Officer, but what if it was killing livestock? wonder how that would play out?
But wouldnt police dogs be trained around livestock? They would have to be trained around horses, and other dogs, at the very least, surely? Plus, they're very well trained and can be recalled and should be kept under control- I doubt this would be an issue many of us ever face, it seems unlikely.
If it were to happen, I'd be curious too, surely the farmer should have the same right to defend their animals

In many areas, there is no animal control. Even if there is, often the dog is long gone before they show up. Not every dog is going to come to a stranger that is screaming at the top of their lungs because it's killing their chickens. It tends to scare them off. A dog that wanders in and isn't doing any harm is more likely to come to some friendly calling.
Exactly. In my rural area, we have no AC, and the police won’t handle it. I called city hall and they said chickens are considered livestock, and any animal that is threatening them can be shot. My doctor’s wife watched as their neighbor’s dog jumped the fence caught a chicken, jumped back and killed it. It repeated this until the doctor got home. By then, about 25 birds had been killed, half his flock. So, he got his rifle and shot it. What else could he do? The dog had 25 chickens to go and wasn’t stopping until he finished the job.

But wouldnt police dogs be trained around livestock? They would have to be trained around horses, and other dogs, at the very least, surely? Plus, they're very well trained and can be recalled and should be kept under control- I doubt this would be an issue many of us ever face, it seems unlikely.
If it were to happen, I'd be curious too, surely the farmer should have the same right to defend their animals
Ha. No police dogs do what they do because their prey drive is off the chain. Their recall is very hit or miss when actually doing the work. I have worked with tons of GSD and own a Belgian Malinois and was a big city police officer for many years. I trust my mal about as far as I can throw him if he was left to his own devices, when I'm there he is mostly very good. But trying to break the prey drive will cause the dog to be very confused and not do what he needs to do. My Mal goes out with me and comes in with me, our pyrenees are in the field with the sheep at night and sleep with the chickens during the day.

So, he got his rifle and shot it. What else could he do? The dog had 25 chickens to go and wasn’t stopping until he finished the job.
uh, maybe Im stating the obvious, but, put his birds away and talked with the owner of the dog? Secured his boundary so that the dog couldnt jump in anymore?

Ha. No police dogs do what they do because their prey drive is off the chain. Their recall is very hit or miss when actually doing the work. I have worked with tons of GSD and own a Belgian Malinois and was a big city police officer for many years. I trust my mal about as far as I can throw him if he was left to his own devices, when I'm there he is mostly very good. But trying to break the prey drive will cause the dog to be very confused and not do what he needs to do. My Mal goes out with me and comes in with me, our pyrenees are in the field with the sheep at night and sleep with the chickens during the day.
thats true I guess, I'm probably biased, the only police dogs I've known, were actually retired, and were very well trained and responded to recall well.
With the temptation of a chicken, I dont know. It depends on the dog and their training/experience. I expect some are better around other animals than others

Yep! That's why they are seldom used off lead in public, working line GSDs and Mals are intense! And bottom line they are still dogs, highly trained or not, and dogs will do what dogs do.

Back
Top Bottom