Should I warn neighbor that dog might get shot?

Pics
Two dogs came into my yard today and chased my chickens and killed one of my roosters. I kept them away with my next door neighbor with a stick and shovel. I wasn’t upset at first, but they came back and tried to get more. I think they belonged to two different neighbors because they kept driving by and one time I heard one car saying I don’t know whose brown dog that is. Then the other car kept circling the block. When the dogs came back one had bubbles all over its chin so my husband got the gun. The dogs ran away but when the neighbors drove by again I yelled, “if your dogs keep killing chickens they’re going to get shot”. I don’t want to shoot any dogs but my husband said I probably shouldn’t have told them that. I’m from a middle of nowhere small town where no one gave a warning. If there was a dog getting the chickens, it would just be a sad day for the dog. What advice or opinion do you have? I am a fairly new chicken owner.
just despose of the body , say nothing

thats true I guess, I'm probably biased, the only police dogs I've known, were actually retired, and were very well trained and responded to recall well.

Also, a lot of the K-9s I've seen being used in England look like show line GSDs, they are much softer than working line dogs producing specifically for police work. Do they actually use dogs much to track and take down perps there?

Also, a lot of the K-9s I've seen being used in England look like show line GSDs, they are much softer than working line dogs producing specifically for police work. Do they actually use dogs much to track and take down perps there?
Once you add a real perp who is kicking and punching the dog, a good deal of recall goes out the window. You can't have a dog trained for real bitie work anticipating his "out" command or recall command. These dogs are the real deal. When a dog is let go on you, you better believe you are getting bit. A good deal of dogs that police use are KNPV stock. There are several types of drive involved in making a good police dog. Prey drive is not the only type. There is fight drive which is why when the SHTF the recall-ability is diminished. Strict prey drive biting is much easier to keep control of the dog. A good example of prey drive biting would be a Schutzhund dog.

Once you add a real perp who is kicking and punching the dog, a good deal of recall goes out the window. You can't have a dog trained for real bitie work anticipating his "out" command or recall command. These dogs are the real deal. When a dog is let go on you, you better believe you are getting bit. A good deal of dogs that police use are KNPV stock. There are several types of drive involved in making a good police dog. Prey drive is not the only type. There is fight drive which is why when the SHTF the recall-ability is diminished. Strict prey drive biting is much easier to keep control of the dog. A good example of prey drive biting would be a Schutzhund dog.
Yep, a lot of the K-9s in England look like your standard black and red German bred Schutzhund dogs, a completely different type of dog.

Last edited:
uh, maybe Im stating the obvious, but, put his birds away and talked with the owner of the dog? Secured his boundary so that the dog couldnt jump in anymore?
He did the obvious thing. Stoped the predator from killing his livestock.
According to your logic, it's his fault the livestock got killed and no fault at all on the owner of the predator.

Oh my goodness. I could never shoot a dog over chickens. How.about a tranquilizer gun or bait it and capture then turn it over to animal control. Killing th dog seems extreme
Why? Is a chickens life less than a dogs? They provide food for your family, and if you’ve raised them, cared for them you’ll know they are every bit as social and loving. If a chicken was coming over to your place to kill your dogs, would you say the same thing about never being able to shoot a chicken over a dog? Just T rying to understand your reasoning…

He did the obvious thing. Stoped the predator from killing his livestock.
According to your logic, it's his fault the livestock got killed and no fault at all on the owner of the predator.
not his fault, but now we know the flock is at risk, it can be prevented. If the dog was able to get on the property and no attempt was made to put the birds inside after the attacked started that day, then yes, some responsibility falls on the owner of the poultry, and I believe the dog should have been taken back to the owners who should've been informed. If it continued, then the law could get involved and the owners reprimanded.
If my birds were being continuously attacked during the day, I would protect them, move them inside and deal with the predator. If I left them exposed knowing there was a predator around, I would consider my own actions to be neglectful. Lethal force is only required if the animal cant be got under control.

accidents happen, dogs can escape yards or get let out by mistake. It isn't always bad ownership. Regardless of the owner's negligence or absence of care, its still an animal that deserves some compassion, especially if it isnt a direct threat and just passing by.
Run the neighborhood was the key to my post, not accidental escapes.

not his fault, but now we know the flock is at risk, it can be prevented. If the dog was able to get on the property and no attempt was made to put the birds inside after the attacked started that day, then yes, some responsibility falls on the owner of the poultry, and I believe the dog should have been taken back to the owners who should've been informed. If it continued, then the law could get involved and the owners reprimanded.
If my birds were being continuously attacked during the day, I would protect them, move them inside and deal with the predator. If I left them exposed knowing there was a predator around, I would consider my own actions to be neglectful. Lethal force is only required if the animal cant be got under control.
It's not the responsibility of the livestock owner to keep others dogs off their property. If a dog gets at his livestock, why should he spend money to keep it from happening again and again, when it's 100% the owner of the dogs responsibly.

It's not the responsibility of the livestock owner to keep others dogs off their property. If a dog gets at his livestock, why should he spend money to keep it from happening again and again, when it's 100% the owner of the dogs responsibly.
I agree with you, and I dont mean long term. But I do think there is a level of responsibility when you know there is a predator around, and you leave your animals out.
You can't *always* put 100% of the responsibility on the dogs owner, if they dont know it is happening or have a chance to prevent it.

In this situation, the owner seems to carry most of the fault for not keeping their dogs secure or noticing the behaviour throughout the day.
But I do think not putting the birds in and talking to the dogs owner was a fault on the poultry owner's part. This could have been resolved if the dog's owner were reasonable.

Ultimately, what's better at the end of the day, having lost so many lives? To kill one more life, or to stop it there and figure out a solution so that no one else has to lose anymore animals?

Back
Top Bottom