Should I warn neighbor that dog might get shot?

So, how many sheep did the sheep farmer lose as a result of the training of his dog(s)? NONE, because he didn't allow the dog to go that far. Nipping at the heels of the sheep to drive them is completely different.
I'm talking about untrained, just starting out dogs, who lunge at and grab the sheep, sometimes by their throats. Because they're being trained by channeling their prey drive and sometimes the dogs get too excited.

Now if that dog goes after that sheep, maybe even breaking the skin and tasting their blood-is that animal doomed, feral, unsalvagable?
No. The farmer gets the dog off, tends to his sheep and goes again until the dog learns the commands and recall.
Now if the dog killed or fatally injured the animal, I expect the farmer may get another dog, I mean, I would personally. But accidents happen all the time, it doesnt make the animal feral.

I've had a number of chickens killed over the last 2 years from neighbors' dogs. Animal control told me that I have 3 choices:

1. Shoot the dog (but I consider the irresponsible neighbor the problem)
2. Trap the dog and call animal control to pick it up and charge the owner to get it back ($50 first time and proof of vaccinations before animal is released. Goes up by $25 each successive .release) Hits the neighbor in the wallet so is more likely to make an impression.
3. Protect your flock with costly sturdy fencing.

I bought a large dog trap ($250) and told my neighbor that I would have his dogs taken to the pound and it would cost him to get them back. I put the trap so it was easily seen so he knew I meant business!
I feel like you can't fault the dog for what is in it's nature to do (hunt). The problem lies with the uncaring owners. No way to reason with them if they don't acknowledge your complaints (in my case, the neighbor said "That's life on a farm!").
Long story short ... once my remaining 8 chickens go to the big coop in the sky, they will not be replaced. It's unfortunate but better than watching them torn up by dogs. You are fighting a losing battle if you don't invest in a large sturdy protective enclosure... We have 20 acres and part of why we have free-range chickens is keeping ticks down (which they are excellent at). We have to live alongside neighbors, and even though it's wrong, we have to make allowances to keep the peace. We moved to our 20 acres to be away from people and left alone, but you always have neighbors!

When I took on the job as property manager on a large rental property we had to pass out notices & call animal control every time we saw or caught a dog running at large .It took years to get rid the owners to comply & keep their dogs up.Many refused & lost their dogs. Some were euthanized. I now understand why people choose to shoot,shovel & shut up.

When I took on the job as property manager on a large rental property we had to pass out notices & call animal control every time we saw or caught a dog running at large .It took years to get rid the owners to comply & keep their dogs up.Many refused & lost their dogs. Some were euthanized. I now understand why people choose to shoot,shovel & shut up.
It's EXTREMELY frustrating to have uncaring neighbors that allow their animals (illegally) to come on your property and do harm. There is NO good, easy answer! You have to weigh the relationship with your neighbors against your chickens ... vindictive neighbors can make your life miserable. It's NOT RIGHT or JUST! I'm sure everyone is like me and when one of my chickens is killed I want to strike out at the culprit! My chickens are more like pets than livestock so it is heartbreaking to lose one. However, I don't want my irritated neighbor to "accidentally" shoot my dog or burn down a shed! In my 64 years of experience there are two types of people ... human beings and a#$holes and you have to live on this planet with both!

Two dogs came into my yard today and chased my chickens and killed one of my roosters. I kept them away with my next door neighbor with a stick and shovel. I wasn’t upset at first, but they came back and tried to get more. I think they belonged to two different neighbors because they kept driving by and one time I heard one car saying I don’t know whose brown dog that is. Then the other car kept circling the block. When the dogs came back one had bubbles all over its chin so my husband got the gun. The dogs ran away but when the neighbors drove by again I yelled, “if your dogs keep killing chickens they’re going to get shot”. I don’t want to shoot any dogs but my husband said I probably shouldn’t have told them that. I’m from a middle of nowhere small town where no one gave a warning. If there was a dog getting the chickens, it would just be a sad day for the dog. What advice or opinion do you have? I am a fairly new chicken owner.
I live in Montana, I deal with feral cats, dogs and coyotes and even the muledeer upset the chickens and steal food. I have a pellet gun that works nicely on all of them, with the pellet gun pumped according to intruder size. Sends them running when hit in the hide quarters.

You can contact your local law enforcement and let them know the dogs are continuing to come onto your property and kill your livestock. They may intervein or give you advice.
Personally, if the dogs have killed a bird already and I saw them on my property again, I would shoot to kill. I suppose the morally correct thing to do would be to reach out to the owners and try to reach an understanding but if they continue to fail to keep their dogs on their property, I believe you have the right to shoot to kill if they are damaging/killing your livestock.
SW Missouri here, out of city limits. Sheriff said it was legal to shoot. Quote, "It's neighbourly to warn them first, but not if you catch them killing livestock."

In my opinion, I would shoot in the air to maybe scare it off. Talk to the owners….if you can ever figure out who they are or where they live or if you can’t call the cops. But after that, I feel like the owners had fair warning. You have to protect your animals. It isn’t a matter of who’s live is more valuable than others animals. Not only that, but I don’t see a chicken killing a dog…

As a dog owner myself, and just recently having my own dog come after my chickens…that’s a long story. I had to have a heart to heart with my kids cause my 9yr old was supposed to get the dogs water and we had the chicks outside in their run. Well instead of my 9 yr old getting it she told her 5 yr old sister to get it and she left their gate open. I had to take a BBgun and pop her in the ass for her to stop. She is a Husky and very bull headed. My Rottweiler just went inside thank all the heavens…but she hasn’t shown much interest. When we let her out now she automatically runs to the run. Luckily they aren’t outside yet. But we are taking measures and even before this we have plans of putting hot wire fence up. One pop and she won’t want anything to do with it…she’s kind of a baby. But as an owner I have to take care of both of them. And the least likely to live would be the chickens…kind of defenseless.
Shooting in the air anytime is not a good idea. The bullet will come down, even if it is just falling it is still a projectile. People die in the middle east or where ever they randomly shoot in the air, and sometimes in the US on New Years when people do that. you can look it up.

Back
Top Bottom