Should these ladies be laying?

I talked to the woman who sold me the chickens. She is willng to trade them for what she believes to be hens of the same age. I asked her to send photos first of which will be sent tomorrow evening. I am really sad to see my birds go. I will post the photos she sends me to get some feedback on their gender. So please help me out when I get them. Also, i am going to miss my chickens. Will the new ones adjust being older?

It's easier to identify the gender when they are older. What we see that makes us say cockerel on this bird is his body shape, the way he stands, the larger and redder comb and waddles. The dead give away it's a boy is the long skinny feathers where the tail and body meet, the saddle feathers. Boys have them, girls don't.

They do look like very nice birds. The fact that the woman is willing to stand by her word definitely makes it worth doing business with her again.

Last edited:
all of their tails look like this.

I am going to miss them, but thankfully the woman I bought them from is willing to trade them.for what.she believes to be hens of the.same age.

Well when this particular breed begins laying the eggs are easily camouflaged with their surroundings. I say look under bushes and small trees and you will probably find some eggs.

I am going to miss them, but thankfully the woman I bought them from is willing to trade them.for what.she believes to be hens of the.same age.
Great! Keep us posted on your new flock and repost pics here so we have have another look see!
wink.png

Enjoy your new flock!

Here's what pullet should look like of that approx age:

Cockerel left. Pullet right. Disregard eye color.

Hand is on pullet. The cockeral is watching the hand. All others are pullets.

I can see where you might be confused if you look only at the head. Your chickens do have rather small comb and wattles but the tail is the dead give away.

Hope this helps you in your future selections.

Even younger:

Pullet with third eyelid closed.

Here is her brother

Full body shot of cockerel

His sister

Back to the older birds. Here is a trio: A young cockerel and two pullets. If you look closely at the tail of the middle pullet you can see a tail similar to the cockerel but she is lacking the pointed saddle feathers. Now, on the other hand, the cockerel, despite having a rooster tail does not have the pointed hackle feathers ( neck feathers) you'd expect to see in a bird this age. And had rather small comb a wattles for a bird his age. The breeder tried to pass this one off as a pullet but I knew better. I rehomed him where he has sired many, many, many chicks. He wasn't crowing at this age.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom