1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should they all be treated for tapeworm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katelk, Dec 2, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Lost a pullet the other day and had a necropsy done. This wasn't the cause of death, but I was told she had a good deal of tapeworms.
    Now I am scrambling to learn about how to deworm chickens of tapeworms.
    Does this mean I need to treat the whole flock? I would imagine so.

Also, I read that Zimecterin Gold horse dewormer may be the best product for getting rid of tapeworms?
    Is there a specific formula/variation of this product I should or shouldn't use? I noticed there were a couple different versions.

What is the dosage of this product for chickens? Will it be the same for all my chickens and larger roosters?

Thanks!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Many will say to give a pea sized amount of Zimectrin Gold or Equimax, but if I were going to use it I would give a more accurate dose than that, or give this product instead:

http://www.jedds.com/-strse-510/MEDIWORM-TABLETS-100-ct/Detail.bok
    A broadspectrum deworming tablet for pigeons, raptors and galliforms. Mediworm is currently the only broadspectrum single dose, combination tablet, known of in the world. Highly effective against Roundworm, Hairworm and Tapeworm.

Extremely safe, causes no regurgitation and is very economical. The small size of the tablet makes it easy to dose. Mediworm is the golden standard in routine deworming.

Composition:
    . Pyrantel Pamoate 20mg
    . Praziquantel 5mg

Dosage Treatment:
    . May be used in the breeding and racing season.
    . Dose one Mediworm tablet per pigeon. The tablet must be dosed on an empty crop.
    . In case of severe worm infestations, it is advisable to repeat the treatment after 14 days.

Available Sizes; 100 tablets.

[​IMG]

Depending on what you read, the praziquantel dose needed is 2.73 mg per pound to 4.55 mg per pound.
    Tapeworm
    [​IMG]

I will calculate actual doses of the paste that are needed and post them later.
    -Kathy

1 person likes this.
  3. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Ok! The mediworm sounds way better so forget about the Z Gold.

I noticed that mediworm comes in pill and powder form.
    I cannot find dosing instructions anywhere online. I was wondering if you know the instructions? Just trying to get an idea of what I will have to do before I buy. I am wondering if the power form would be easier? I can't imagine trying to give a pill to my chickens. How does that even work?

Thanks!

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Pills would be better. Just grab chicken at night, open beak and give pill(s). [​IMG] You will have to guess their weigts and figure out how many pills to give them.

This might be a better one to give:
    http://www.revivalanimal.com/Fish-T...c31350_d_155&gclid=CPaahczpp8ICFQqDfgod4k8AsA

The amount of praziquantel in it is almost 7 times more than the other one (34 mg vs 5 mg), so one pill is all you would need to treat a 6.5 pound bird vs 6 of the other.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How many chickens do you have?

-Kathy

6. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Ok less pills sounds better!

I have Orpingtons mostly, but also have one little silkie mix who is a tiny little thing; then I have an Orp rooster who is giant. I have dosing concerns. Lol. I have never given them anything that required dosing before.
    How exact does the dose need to be according to weight?

7. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

I have 15. The silkie mix I would say is no more than 2-3 pounds, the Orpington hens are all about average, I have an average size English Orp roo and a young Orp roo that I hatched out in the spring that has turned out to be a monster bird somehow. He is bigger than my year old English Orpington rooster

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you think your roo weighs 10 pounds? Hens 8?

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The dose does not need to be exact, praziquantel is very safe.

-Kathy

10. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

Oh my. I have never weighed them, but I would say that sounds right. 4 of my Orp ladies are probably on the small side if average, maybe 6.5-7 pounds. But 8 would sound about right with the roo about 10.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by