Should we butcher this 20-week old rooster for meat?

canam melissa

Hatching
Aug 15, 2016
NC
We were given this rooster at the end of April, friends say he was "about a month old" with no indication of a breed. We thought it was a hen, but within the last couple of weeks he has been testing out his new newfound "voice", and we've discovered he's a rooster. We cannot keep roosters in our neighborhood, so we have to be rid of him. I don't want to butcher him if his meat will be too tough to eat (he's about 20 weeks/5 months old now). Can someone advise me what breed he might be, and whether he would make good meat? Thanks in advance!

big_smile.png
If I were you, I'd buy some black Sumatra hens for him and start a breeding program!
This breed sells for good money!

I've raised Black Sumatras for over 15 years. And I butcher several cockerels every year. 5 months old is gonna be baking/crockpot bird. Little to tough to grill or fry.

welcome-byc.gif

sure you can eat him. I'd check out threads on the meat bird section to get good ideas for cooking. Low, slow and moist will be the way to go.

Thanks everyone! He certainly is a beautiful bird, these pictures don't even do justice to his coloring. Unfortunately we can't keep him, because his crowing is too loud for our neighborhood. If I were to sell him, any suggestions on a price I should expect? There is a "Poultry and Small Livestock Swap" at Southern States this weekend, but I've never been to one of those before. Thanks again!

Thanks everyone! He certainly is a beautiful bird, these pictures don't even do justice to his coloring. Unfortunately we can't keep him, because his crowing is too loud for our neighborhood. If I were to sell him, any suggestions on a price I should expect? There is a "Poultry and Small Livestock Swap" at Southern States this weekend, but I've never been to one of those before. Thanks again!

You could try the Buy-Sell-Trade under the "Forum" tab- it's the last one.
There's also the "where am I where are you" under the "Forum" tap- under "social"-- perhaps you can find someone close by who wants him.
Swap wise- maybe take some very good pictures but leave him home- and ask around for people who might be interested in Black Sumatra.
Craigslist might find a buyer too- sometimes feed stores have an online trade site, i.e. "wanted and for sale"

The 'no-crow' collar has worked pretty well for us- but that's a spendy endeavor if you're not keeping him.

If you're going to try to sell him, I'd start with $20-25. He's pretty and unusual enough someone may happily pay that.

Be prepared to go down lower, though. It's a trade off of how much you need to get rid of him vs how much you don't want to butcher. Remember you've got a good amount of feed in him. If you're willing/able to butcher, no need to literally give that investment away.

Back
Top Bottom