Solved Should we eliminate or change post likes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Really interesting discussion!!

a better reflection of member's helpful participation
As others have mentioned, BYC isn't just "education only". We're a perfect mix of the "social graphs" and "interest graphs". What one person finds really "helpful and life-changing" might be completely irrelevant to someone else. "Likes" are SUPER subjective... but that's totally ok, especially considering we're an incredibly diverse community that spans literally millions of visitors from all over the world.

BYC remains the best place for chicken-owners because we promote education and social. I've seen TONS of resources come and go because they fail to have a proper and sustainable mix. We're lucky and proud to have such a great sustainable balance!

Also, keep in mind that one person's social / non-educational post that makes people feel good can have just as much... maybe even more "value" than a purely educational post. It's really hard to say what is "helpful" or not.

If there was an add on it probably would be $$$
Thank goodness we have member's supporting us by either paying for a PFM, not blocking ads, etc., so we can pay for addons that we feel would make a difference to our community!

So, regarding likes: Yup, it's not a perfect system, but honestly... it was never meant to be one. Like a TON of stuff on BYC (or most social / education sites) there's a mix of content, features, etc. that people can use or ignore at their leisure.

C'mon girl! You don't have to be controversial. I can like you without always agreeing with you.
Who gets to decide what a contribution is? I welcome the social exchange as much as I welcome the learning experience. Is one more valuable than the other, and who places the value? Me or a jury of my peers?

Is venting about your classmates and their sick chickens a valuable contribution? Or just venting?
I'll be PMing you shortly

Also, keep in mind that one person's social / non-educational post that makes people feel good can have just as much... maybe even more "value" than a purely educational post. It's really hard to say what is "helpful" or not.
A good example of that recently is on a social thread where someone was posting pictures of integrating chicks with hens. Someone else noticed the coop set~up & found it really helpful. Good information can be gleaned from just about anywhere.

On another forum I am on likes were removed unintentionally when the forum moved servers to one that did not support a like system. Activity dropped some 75% as people apparently felt their contributions were no longer being seen without a like system. You'd think it would just contribute to more posting, but it did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom