Solved Should we eliminate or change post likes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also would like to see an "educational" reaction. I've seen a few posts be really funny and get a lot of likes, but they don't actually contribute to a thread. And sometimes, they kind of hijack said thread.

Kiki's Balut thread is the sort of thing where the whole thread is an experience, but in a thread about showing poultry and detecting good and bad traits in a particular bird, a very few of the posts are helpful. I'd really like a way to find those posts without wading through the dross, especially when the thread hits fifteen+ pages.

Also, I suspect the lack of "educational" reactions to a particular post would help new members eliminate some misinformation (if that makes sense.)

BYC is a community of flock owners who share information, among them info about building a coop or a run, how to deal with a prolapse vent, and things like a lady in LA. who posted about having a necropsy done cause she didn't know what was killing her chickens. Turned out to be gnats sucking the life out of them, she shared that info to many cause she posted a thread about it and helped save alot of backyard flocks in her area cause they had no idea. Thats the kind of LEARNING you won't get from vet journals and publications
BYC is one tool of many for learning about chickens not a primary education source. IMO experience is the best teacher of all, next to reading journals, publications from state extentions and educational institutions,
Yes, it is this sought out, experience based personal knowledge that is extremely valuable and imo should be the basis of the educator badge. Not Google.

No need to be hostile
C'mon girl! You don't have to be controversial. I can like you without always agreeing with you.
Who gets to decide what a contribution is? I welcome the social exchange as much as I welcome the learning experience. Is one more valuable than the other, and who places the value? Me or a jury of my peers?

Is venting about your classmates and their sick chickens a valuable contribution? Or just venting?

C'mon girl! You don't have to be controversial. I can like you without always agreeing with you.
Who gets to decide what a contribution is? I welcome the social exchange as much as I welcome the learning experience. Is one more valuable than the other, and who places the value? Me or a jury of my peers?

Is venting about your classmates and their sick chickens a valuable contribution? Or just venting?
:goodpost:

Yes, it is this sought out, experience based personal knowledge that is extremely valuable and imo should be the basis of the educator badge. Not Google.
Enh. Google can be extremely helpful. I'm not talking about easily accessed sites like Wikipedia; I'm talking about people like casportpony, who'll take the time and mental effort to wade through a dense scientific article and bring forth useful information to share with us lazy slackers (or should that be 'we'?)

Personal experience is very helpful, and definitely should not be discounted, but there's something to be said for an experiment that has funding and statistical analysis behind it. For example, how many people have enough chickens, time, and resources to record the effect of high levels of calcium on non-layer kidneys?

I was kind of hoping for something a little more expressive than the prospective new emicons.
Perhaps something like this for 'Don't Like'.:lau Don't like.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom