Solved Should we eliminate or change post likes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if actual threads didn't get the like but the comments people leave that are useful. If I ask a question, no one should be liking it but the comments people leave to my question can be liked based on the useful information on them.

@Cyprus, just remember, not everyone is as scientifically & practically minded as you are & glean their information in different ways. I'm a very visual learner. I like picture heavy threads because I understand what I see but I often get lost in the wordy explanations. I believe it is important to be as eclectic as possible to meet as diverse a community as possible, likes or no likes. Personally I don't care how it's done. I use them to show people I've visited & read even if I can't comment or have nothing to contribute. It's important people know they're not posting into a vacuum ~ as someone else mentioned.

We should keep likes, I think generally people like a bit of feedback and clicking like can be a quick acknowledgement by the reader while quickly reading threads.

The one thing that I find interesting are those that just post “x2” or “x3” to a post, isn’t very helpful and quite possibly done for a similar reason...to boost post count. Of course, BYC perpetuates it a bit bc they have a list of people with the highest post count for the day, which can be very motivating to some people to do very quick, short posts. I’m not suggesting we police these types of posts, it just is what it is.

What’s the saying... One man’s trash is another man’s treasure?

What one person sees as “helpful” may not be helpful to the next person. Saying that only helpful posts should be likeable is just ludicrous, but again, that’s my opinion. Others may disagree with me and that’s fine!
And what one person sees as good advice, others may see as bad. That’s why we have collaborative discussions!

Even those numbers of likes, trophies, post counts.... those mean things to some, and mean diddly to others. Why worry about them? Use them the way you want to and let others use them the way they want. They are what they are. For now anyway.

We should keep likes, I think generally people like a bit of feedback and clicking like can be a quick acknowledgement by the reader while quickly reading threads.

The one thing that I find interesting are those that just post “x2” or “x3” to a post, isn’t very helpful and quite possibly done for a similar reason...to boost post count. Of course, BYC perpetuates it a bit bc they have a list of people with the highest post count for the day, which can be very motivating to some people to do very quick, short posts. I’m not suggesting we police these types of posts, it just is what it is.

Not necessarily. A “x2” shows agreement. If someone is asking for an opinion, and someone posts only “x2”, then that means 2 people agree, instead of just one persons opinion.
If I ask if I should step off the curb in front of a bus and only one person says yes, I may not be able to decide. But if someone else says x2, then maybe it’s a good idea! :p

Last edited:
Not necessarily. A “x2” shows agreement. If someone is asking for an opinion, and someone posts only “x2”, then that means 2 people agree, instead of just one persons opinion.
If I ask if I should step off the curb in front of a bus and only one person says yes, I may not be able to decide. But is someone else says x2, then maybe it’s a good idea! :p
The last sentence gave me a good belly laugh :lau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom