should you keep your ''Show" chicken inside?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silver1polish, Feb 19, 2015.

1. silver1polish

silver1polish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    I will be getting a serama for 4H showing (eventually).
    But for now I'm just working on getting ready for one.
    Well anyways back to my question... So should I put the coop (probably a rabbit hutch) Inside or Outside??
    Please reply soon thanks! Silver1Polish

2. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    So anyone keep their Show chickens inside?

3. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    Please respond ASAP

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't keep chickens inside, but I d'on't show them,either. That's a decision only you can make (unless, of course, you are living in your parents' home and they are objecting to it - then the decision is already made for you, and that answer would be no). One thing to consider is, chickens have a lot of dander, and that will end up all over your house. In my opinion, chickens aren't house pets, but there is a thread on keeping chickens in the house. You might want to check it out:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/594496/chickens-as-house-pets

One other thought - since chickens are flock animals, I would get her another chicken friend.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If you keep them outside, chances are they will be kept in a larger area. The colder air, with make for thicker feathers, and the larger area will reduce damage to feathers caused by keeping a bird in a too small area.

I am hoping that you are getting more than one bird, and hoping that you have a bigger coop than a habit hutch, and really hoping that you have a secure run, where the bird can get outside but be safe from predators.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by