should you keep your ''Show" chicken inside?

silver1polish

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Sadened...
I will be getting a serama for 4H showing (eventually).
But for now I'm just working on getting ready for one.
Well anyways back to my question... So should I put the coop (probably a rabbit hutch) Inside or Outside??
Please reply soon thanks! Silver1Polish

I don't keep chickens inside, but I d'on't show them,either. That's a decision only you can make (unless, of course, you are living in your parents' home and they are objecting to it - then the decision is already made for you, and that answer would be no). One thing to consider is, chickens have a lot of dander, and that will end up all over your house. In my opinion, chickens aren't house pets, but there is a thread on keeping chickens in the house. You might want to check it out:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/594496/chickens-as-house-pets

One other thought - since chickens are flock animals, I would get her another chicken friend.

If you keep them outside, chances are they will be kept in a larger area. The colder air, with make for thicker feathers, and the larger area will reduce damage to feathers caused by keeping a bird in a too small area.

I am hoping that you are getting more than one bird, and hoping that you have a bigger coop than a habit hutch, and really hoping that you have a secure run, where the bird can get outside but be safe from predators.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom