Shout out to chicken owners, watch out. :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Nov 28, 2012.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    We lost another chicken today, (thats 2 in one month. So sad.[​IMG]) Abby, our blind golden laced wyandotte, got killed by a hawk. I let the 3 girls out to free range for 5 minutes, and I came out and there he was, ontop of my poor little girl. I feel like it's my fault that she got taken, because if I hadn't let them out, she'd be alive. But, he's been there, waiting, for months. It was going to happen. We didn't let him take her, and tried to scare him away. We threw rocks and screamed and waved our hands; he didn't care. The hawks aren't scared of people anymore. They will take your birds. Keep your girls in their runs this time of year, when the food is scarce for the birds of prey.

R.I.P. Lil Abby, we already miss you so much.
    [​IMG]
    Darn this stupid hawk. This is the first time one of our chickens has been killed by a predator. And i hate the stupid things. This one is huge, and he'll be back. My girls are staying in their run.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I wonder if this was a rehab hawk who now has little fear of humans? Anyway, sorry for your loss. Hindsight is 2020 but these things happen. So sorry....

3. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    X2, I agree. I am so sorry for your loss. I liked Abby. So sorry. RIP Abby.

4. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    So sorry, ACF. [​IMG] The strange thing is that I let my chickens out about 2 hours ago and they were acting REALLY strange, like something was wrong. I put them in, and forgot about it. I wonder if they sensed a hawk nearby. They were not eating grass or anything, just standing straight up and looking around. I hope he leaves your girls alone from now on. I'll definitely keep mine locked up.

ETA- I think I saw the same hawk in my yard a month ago. He was in a branch of a tree, staring at the coop. I ran towards him and he just stood there, looking at me. I was right under him. he finally flew away after a few minutes.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

OH, he is pretty... Sorry he's made a meal out of your beautiful girl. I hate when that happens. Lost several to hawks this year.

6. lookyhereboy

lookyhereboy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Drury, MO
    It might help if you removed what ever that hawk is roosting on. It knows they are there now but don't let it hang out on your property. Unless that is the neighbors yard.

7. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    OH No!!! Not Abby. I've noticed LOTS more hawks this time of the year and it's had me on edge. I'm so sorry.

8. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    I am so sorry. You've been through a lot this past month. I know that he is a predator and will probably be back again. I am glad that the other girls will be safe in their run though.

Sending you hugs and prayers... [​IMG]

9. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    [​IMG] Praying for you and your girlies!!

10. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Since that's an immature Red-Tailed Hawk, it may not have a strong fear of humans yet. The majority of hawks (and accipiters such as Cooper's Hawk) I get are almost always immature birds and don't seem to have developed a natural fear of humans. If a hawk hunts in a populated area and no harm or fear has come to it because of humans, that may be another reason why it tends to ignore people.
    I've seen chicken saddles that have large eye spots and are supposed to deter hawks because it looks as if they are being watched. You could also hang shiny streamers or place some unusual object in your yard (if the hawk has never seen it before, it won't know if the new object is harmful or not). Sometimes I make "straw castles" out of straw bales stacked so there is an opening the hens can go in and out of and hide from hawks.
    Sorry about the loss of your hen! [​IMG]I also lost one of my hens to an immature red-tail. She was an all white leghorn, so she was probably an easy target to spot from a distance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by